Re chambered 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
ranman

Re chambered 8

Post by ranman »

I came across a 25 rem that has been re chambered in 250 savage. Gun looks in very good condition but receiver has 4 holes in it for scope. I would think this is too much for these old guns. Anybody ever shoot one? Any feedback is appreciated .
Sarge756

Re: Re chambered 8

Post by Sarge756 »

That would be an interesting rechambering. Believe we had a post about this set up awhile back. While not found so much at Walmart etc the ammunition would be easier to come by than 25 Remington.
The holes you mentioned ,if there for a side mount scope base ,would not be a big concern. Unattractive but not a safety or function issue. The 8/81 locks the bolt and barrel together on firing and the receiver serves mainly as a carrier and is not subject to high pressure.
If it were mine I`d probably utilize the holes and mount a decent scope to realize the potential accuracy of the 250 Savage round.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

You should check to see if the barrel springs are for a 300 Savage. This rifle has demonstrated it is very capable of handling the Savage caliber. ;) However the 25 Rem springs are not, It could cause damage to the rear of the receiver from excessive slam. :shock: Another possible problem could be if a 25Rem barrel was re-chambered. What is marked on the barrel head? They are not the same dimensions as the 300Sav and the 35 Rem assemblies. The threads for the barrel nut are even a different size. If parts have been upgraded correctly you may have a very capable rifle.
Note: the bolt face for 300S is about .004-.006 larger than the 35Rem. They are not normally interchangeable. It might be possible to use the 300Sav bolt in a 35 Rem rifle without problems. I don't know yet...
Nice Find :!: :!:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

PB He says it was a 25 Rem rechambered to 250 Savage not 300.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
ranman

Post by ranman »

I was not sure if the 250 savage would be to hard on the receiver, it looks ok .I may have a VERY good look at it before I purchase. thanks
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Sarge,
Sorry if I was too brief, I was commenting on his 250 Savage chambering and comparing it to the 300 Savage. They are about the same pressure rating and effective recoil. The 300Sav components should work just fine in our Ladies for any of the Savage calibers with a little tuning. I was also expressing concern for a 25 Rem barrel re-cut to 250 Savage (250-3000); there ARE great differences in pressures between the 2 cartridges. Let alone if the rifle was machined before more modern steels were available. Caution is often the better part of valor...
Guess I gotta be more clear down the road....
Phyrbird
SOKY