Stevens 520: NOT a Remington...a Browning!

Other great Remington rifles
Adam Lee

Stevens 520: NOT a Remington...a Browning!

Post by Adam Lee »

OK guys.

Just got done with a few pics of the current version of my ca. 1918 Montgomery Ward Western Field shotgun - aka J. Stevens Model 520, designed by John. Moses. Browning.

Maybe my Model 10 stock will look like this.... :mrgreen:

I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Re: Stevens 520: NOT a Remington...a Browning!

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
I like the figure in that stock, pretty :!: :!:
The rest of this lady looks a lot better than the first images you posted. Good job...
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Phyrbird wrote:Adam,
I like the figure in that stock, pretty :!: :!:
The rest of this lady looks a lot better than the first images you posted. Good job...
Carl, thanks - about the stock. Mitch (imfuncity) knows how that stock looked at the beginning - pretty poor - and I'm just happy I was able to "reveal" the true grain beneath the crud!

However:

The receiver looks like crap - my cold blue efforts went south in a hurry. Again, it is all "practice" for me since this is not for money - and I wanted to see what would happen with a few tweaks I thought I'd try.

Going to be doing the hot blue - probably the belgian blue via Brownell's - on a small hot tank setup I'm working up for an outdoors adventure.

I know that Edison's comments are echoing back...when asked about how he felt, about "failing" to find success with his first incandescent light bulb until he had tried at least a thousand times to make it work.
His response was something like this: "I didn't fail 1,000 times. It just took me 1,000 steps to figure it out correctly."

I am about around only number 55 in my experimentation with townhouse cold blueing (go ahead and laugh at this point!) so I have PLENTY of room until success!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Headoftheholler

Post by Headoftheholler »

I found one of these local with the straight english stock for $250, I'd bet the stock itself is worth 3/4 of that
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Headoftheholler wrote:I found one of these local with the straight english stock for $250, I'd bet the stock itself is worth 3/4 of that
I hear you Andrew - the metal can be redone and repaired, but the stocks can be the unique feature of any gun.

I have not yet received my Model 10, but I look forward to repairing and restoring the wood furniture - since it will be my first "round knob" stock, and I believe it's a 1913.

Hope you are having some fun with your gun projects.

Adam
Headoftheholler

Post by Headoftheholler »

My problem is in between working 50+ hrs a week & 3 kids whatever free time I have is split between numerous projects, a character flaw of mine if you will, lol. At any given time I've got 3 or 4 projects going at the same time. Just had to turn down one of my "bucket list" builds and it hurt bad due to having too much going on at the same time, a real heartbreaker - Krag barreled action rebarreled by PO Ackley for $250. That one will haunt me. But I did pick up a nice "guild" mauser recently and a Niedner trapdoor buttplate for a steal.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Headoftheholler wrote:My problem is in between working 50+ hrs a week & 3 kids whatever free time I have is split between numerous projects, a character flaw of mine if you will, lol. At any given time I've got 3 or 4 projects going at the same time. Just had to turn down one of my "bucket list" builds and it hurt bad due to having too much going on at the same time, a real heartbreaker - Krag barreled action rebarreled by PO Ackley for $250. That one will haunt me. But I did pick up a nice "guild" mauser recently and a Niedner trapdoor buttplate for a steal.
Andrew: I hear ya 100 percent! I bet most folks think elementary school teachers - even 6th grade teachers - just hang out, eat donuts, and get all their "free time" on weekends and evenings.

On the kids front - my daughter is about to graduate (class salutatorian, yeah!) and go to college; my son will be a junior next year - so they are not in the same phase of demands as when they were rugrats - so I feel your pain!

Adam
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Having trouble believing that is the same gun, let alone the very cool stock! Great job.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

imfuncity wrote:Having trouble believing that is the same gun, let alone the very cool stock! Great job.
I couldn't believe the buttstock would have such "burl" to it, either - just got lucky with that!

Adam