Long wait for brass

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
h.charlie

Long wait for brass

Post by h.charlie »

I got off the phone with buffaloarms to ask if they had a better date for when they might get some 30 rem brass, cause last time I called in late October, I was told mid February. this time I was told since there has been a large demand on everything like .223 and all the common stuff Remington didn't even do a run and probably wont for another year, he even went on to say the he had a back order of 3000 or 30,000 :o I forget how many zeros but is shocking none the less look likes wildcating 30-30 for awhile guys
sighthound

Re: Long wait for brass

Post by sighthound »

Anyone have any idea how many thousands of brass it would take to have a manufacturer turn out a custom order and how many forum members would subscribe to sizeable quantities for themselves and others? When I was younger and building rifles and needing parts I always bought extras for future use and resale and built up a fair little parts business out of my little shop and at gun shows. Perhaps this forum might consider having a supply of brass on hand for sale to members. What do you think? Jerry
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Jerry,
You might be on to something here. I personally would buy several hundred 30 remington brass or 32 or 25 for that matter. I reload all 3 calibers. I've reformed all 3 also from other brass. Let's see if anyone else considers this a good idea. Quality cartridge might be more receptive than remington. Who's to say.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

OK, I put some stuff on GunBroker that should make you happy. Not cheap, but available. Even something for you guys with the lever action rifles. The auctions will start later tonight and run for 9 days. I tried to put pictures, but could not get them small enough for this beloved web site.

ROB
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Seems like Lohman Arms has .30 Rem, as well as its confusing new relative, .30 Rem AR....
http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/pc30r.htm

Just an observation - because I am on this quest as well.
http://www.lohmanarms.com/category_s/2703.htm

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Great find Adam :!: :!:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Carl,

think you can find the time to contact Lohman Arms and see if it is true - that they are currently selling brass and apparently loaded ammo for .30 Remington?

My job/work day won't allow it.

Thanks
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Adam, Short answer to your question.....No! Sat on hold for 15 minutes this morning listening to the most obnoxious canned music ever and finally was able to speak to a real person. I inquired as to what was in stock re; 30 Rem and 32 Rem brass. Neither one was available with both on backorder and no date when it would be available .Inquired when was last time it was available and was told the person that could give that information was not in today. I also inquired about 350 Rem Magnum brass that they had listed and it also was same as the other two.
I hate to bust the bubble on what appeared to be at the outset a promising source for us but it is what it is.Final note about these folks.......The online order I initially attempted for 200 pieces of brass had a flatrate shipping charge of $21.79.A bit high but okay, I`ll buy into flatrate shipping and save some $ on a bulk order, so I changed order to 2,000 pieces. Flatrate??? Nope, shipping for them $85. Sorry guys, you want to skin me on shipping you can keep it should you ever have it and ship it where the sun don`t shine.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Joe,

I am actually GLAD that you "burst my bubble"!

I did NOT really believe their website, to be honest - and I DO TRULY appreciate that you put in the sweat to find out for ALL of us.

For me, the .30 Rem will remain a caliber I won't touch for a while. Guess those Model 14's are going to have to wait.

Adam
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
You and I think a lot alike. :D Next time I'm at my FAVORITE ;) reloading store (I only get to go once or twice a year :oops: ) if they still have 30 Rem brass do you still want some? I'll get one bag for me two for you. Think they are 100 pcs per bag... Can you afford it? I'm tapped out.
They are not retail but just the same they are not cheap..... 8-)

Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Seems that 35 Remington is now hard to come by as well. This whole "shortage" thing is getting very old indeed. I lucked across a 100 lot of 35 Rem at a gun show yesterday but have not been able to find any on line for some time now. Brass dealer I bought from told me that the manufactures are just so far backordered on just about everything that the more popular calibers are getting first priority and the special run stuff like we shoot are going to take the longest. :roll:
Fred

Post by Fred »

I've read a thread or two about making 35 remington brass from 308 or 30-06 by squeezing it through a reducer die then cutting to length and full-length sizing it to the final shape... I don't see why it wouldn't work and the price and lead time of a swaging die might be less than a custom order of brass and be more productive than twiddling thumbs and lamenting the shortage.

Where there's a will there's a way:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... post320637
Les Staley

Post by Les Staley »

Lucked on to 84 once fired, resized and cleaned 35 remington brass yesterday at a gun show..$20....bout broke my own wrist gettin' my wallet out!! There was one model 8 in 35 and a 141 pump gun in the same flavor..didn't have the moola.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Next time I'm at my FAVORITE ;) reloading store (I only get to go once or twice a year :oops: ) if they still have 30 Rem brass do you still want some?
Got some, been there. Anybody want some? (30 Rem) :D

Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
GRUMPA

Post by GRUMPA »

This may sound strange to some folk but I'm currently making all 3 of the older Rem cases. Talk about a tedious task when it comes to making the 25, 30, and 32Rem cases, what's worse is I had to make my own gauges for them. Here's a link of what's going on with them as of right now.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... 117-Grumpa

Just open the thread on the Rem cases.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Matt,
Welcome to our forum and appreciate the link and explanation of how you are making the brass. Have a friend that has converted a few 30-30 to 30 Rem for me and he would agree with you about it being tedious. Looks like you are staying busy out in the Arizona desert. Considering how labor intensive it is your anticipated charge per piece is modest. Want to let you know that the 45 pistol brass for snake shot rounds that I bought from you awhile back works great. Again, welcome, and if you don`t have any 8`s or 81`s yet be careful hanging around here or you will end up with a closet full.
Joe
GRUMPA

Post by GRUMPA »

I finally got around to signing up and joining the crowd. What got me was reading this thread and folks not being able to get what they need/want. That's pretty much the only reason I extended the conversions I do into the Rem cases. Let's face it they can only last so long and I don't see any relief in sight as far as availability, almost nil I would say.

I have folks coming over from time to time and they remark on how I make those shot loads for the 45ACP. To them I'm like a McGyver of sorts and almost have the ability to pick something up and transform it into something else.

And try and keep in mind all of AZ isn't desert, I live just outside the White Mountains of AZ. A 45min drive to the west and I'm in some prime Elk areas, with lush pine trees abound. Although it does look like the desert where I am, it really isn't.

The 1 thing about those Rem cases, anyone that converts them from something else has to fire form them. I came up with making my own hydroform set up, although laborious it does have impressive results. So far I have over 150pcs of all 3 Rem cases to be tested, it's just a matter of time before some of them get back with me. Not having anything that uses those cases I wouldn't feel comfortable about releasing any without various field testers to make sure they'll work with what's out there and flawlessly.

I don't know if I'll ever own a model 8 or 81 unless I happened to trip over the thing. Where I live I need at least a 1/2mi gun.
Solar Array (520 x 390).jpg
Solar Array (520 x 390).jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 23631 times
And did I mention all this is done with the power of the sun. Yes I live that remote. And that's just the shop not my home.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Half Mile Rifle !!! Those are for sure some wide open spaces you have there. Remember from discussions with you before that you are pretty remote. I`m trying to visualize how much I would love to have your shop and location and all the work I could get done without the interruptions. No wonder you come up with these good ideas. Hydroforming? Interesting.
If you need someone else to load,test and furnish a full report put my name in the hat. Can`t do 25 Rem yet as I don`t have one in the collection but do have 30`s and a 32.
Thanks again for your efforts to keep these obsolete rounds from fading away. Don`t write off our "Springpoles" yet even if they are not half-milers. Just find one and the rest will take care of itself cause they are addictive.
Joe
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Please count me in for any testing you need done. I have rifles in all 5 calibers. I reload them all. I'm always at the range shooting/testing. My email address is listed below in my address box.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
GRUMPA

Post by GRUMPA »

As far as field testers are concerned, I think just over a dozen is enough. All I'm doing is waiting for them to get back with me. I keep forgetting not everyone lives like I do, where a trip to the range is out the front door or back door depending on what I feel like. Lots of folks have to go to the range and get set up. A guy like me if I didn't have a cell phone I wouldn't know what day it was till I looked, give me the rural life any day.
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

Grumpa,

I have some factory Remington .32 ammo.
Would you like one for tooling/measuring purposes?
I was thinking of tooling up for making .32 cases as well.
Could you explain hydroforming a little more?

Thanks

Jim
GRUMPA

Post by GRUMPA »

I would love to have a 32Rem case, I would like to be able to verify the gauge dimension with it. Not loaded though just the empty case actually, I don't own anything in a 32Rem so a loaded round would be a waste. Here's a link I have on another site, just click the link and click the proper thread, I have pictures and look carefully at the shoulder angles on the parent case and the finished cases.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... 117-Grumpa

Hydraforming is a process I use to form the shoulder angle so the person wont have the need to fire form the case in there chamber so the shoulder extends itself. If you were to look at the actual SAAMI drawings the parent case shoulder location is shorter than the finished product. I made my own plungers and made a guide for the die for this to work. This ole tight azz isn't shelling out the big bucks to have a set of custom dies made in order to hydraform. You leave the primer in and plug up the hole in your shell holder, fill the case with water, bring the ram up putting the case in the die and hit the plunger with a hard dead-blow hammer a few times, generally 4-5 to form the shoulder angle and bring the gauge dimension to it's proper place. Something like this takes an awful lot of time to do, but for the folks that have no choice it's another alternative of getting what you need.

You think this process is hard/time consuming? Click on the 5.45x39 thread, I'm still working on those.

Hopefully that answered your question(s) if not just ask....Matt
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

I haven't fired the factory ammo yet, but I would be glad to send you two empties of the other two types I have.
One is Cabelas Obsolete line. No head stamp. They functioned fine.
The other was from an out of business company called CMA. These are head stamped 38-55 and again functioned perfectly.
PM me your address and I will get them out.

Any chance you are willing to make/sell the cutting tool for .32 Remington?

Thanks

Jim
GRUMPA

Post by GRUMPA »

I'll be sending you a PM directly.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the cutting tool for the 32Rem your talking about. All I do to make them is run them on my lathe and then form them.
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

I was envisioning a custom tool to make both the rim cut and the extractor groove cut at once.
I may investigate it more later once I get a lathe and cut a few myself. It has been a long time since I used a lathe.
Shells will be out in Mondays mail.

Thanks

Jim
GRUMPA

Post by GRUMPA »

OK now I get it. I try and keep things on the simple side, meaning it's difficult to get the form just right and they do get dull. If I was still working in aerospace I would make the form on the surface grinding wheel and make it. Now since I live so remote I use a different tool per each operation, nothing unique or special just separate tools.
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

I am new owner of a Model 8 in 30 REM. I was successful purchasing new 30 REM brass online from auction arms and paid $1.52 @, I needed the brass. Last week, I was at the local Cross Roads Gun Show and purchased New 30 REM brass for .50 cents@, much better. I have on order from Buffalo Arms New 30 REM brass for .56 cents@ and have no delivery exceptions.