What's with these rifles?

New Member Introductions
Ohyou81too?

What's with these rifles?

Post by Ohyou81too? »

Hello Everyone! I'm fairly new here, well I've been a member for about 5 weeks now but this is my first post. I have read a lot of the topics that have been discussed on here over the past weeks and month's and I really appreciate all of the advice and knowledge the people here on the great model 8 has. It has been fun to read and learn from you all.
I purchased my first "old rifle"(before this the oldest rifles I had were a few Brownings and Winchesters from the early 70's) about 5 weeks ago. It is a 81 in pretty good shape for a fair price. It has a sling a scope and came with 4 boxes of ammo. Now I am hooked! I think I have a bad case of... I think you call it "Jackitis" Since then I have found 2 more 81's and 2 8's. 4 are 35's and 1 300. and another 35 in the works. What is it with these old spring poles? They are about the best looking guns ever made.
I thought I had never seen one before a few weeks ago, but I was looking through some pictures from a few years ago and I have a number of pictures of the ones they have in the Browning museum in Ogden, Utah. So maybe that's where it all started.
I am sure I will have some questions as I learn more about these wonderful guns. I am trying to decide what to do with one of my 8's that came to me a couple of day's ago. Its a first year 1906 model so I guess it wasn't an 8 yet. but it came to me looking pretty rough(the pictures of it looked better) that's always tough for me when buying off line. It's #'s all match but the blueing is about gone it has 4 extra holes in the receiver and the but stock has been refinished and sanded to about 3 sizes too small... frustrating. but I am still happy to have a first year model. that I was told functions flawlessly.
This is the first forum I have ever joined.. So sorry in advance I can't type spell or punctuate. hopefully some of it makes sense.
Thanks.
Attachments
Here is my small herd, hopefully it's growing
Here is my small herd, hopefully it's growing
remington 8.jpg (411.94 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
Phyrbird

Re: What's with these rifles?

Post by Phyrbird »

A pretty stable indeed, I really like the figure on the top 81. 8-) Also looks like a great example of a SLR, it even has the early safety lever. You might consider a folding sight for the barrel jacket, it helps the field of view :geek: when your using the tang sight.
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

Ohyou81too? welcome aboard! With such a nice collection of rifles, one has to ask, which is your favorite to shoot?

And I agree with Phyrbird, great early 8 there, I love early guns with tear drop safety levers!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us and hope to see more of your "herd." We all start small and hope that we can round up a few more of the old spring poles to join our herds. :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
Ohyou81too?

Post by Ohyou81too? »

Phyrbird, I appreciate your insight on the rear sight :D and that 81 on the top does have the best wood out of my collection.
Cam, Hard to say which is my favorite, I have only been able to shoot 2 of them so far. but I do like the feel of the 8 over the 81. I can't wait to shoot the 06 model. I still need to buy some 300 savage, but I found 12 boxes of 35 the other day, So hopefully this next weekend I can put a few rounds down range.
I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but my 81 with the scope has a neat patina? kind of a slight brownish color, my others are all just a normal worn blue. Have you ever seen them age like this? was it stored next to something that could do this? or has someone re-blued or attempted something else? I think it looks good, just different from the normal that I have seen.
Thanks Jack1653, I will try to keep up with pictures as the herd grows. I hope to find some beauties like so many on this site has and have. The pictures are great! I love the old hunting pictures. I myself love the outdoors, hunt, trap, fish etc. those early 1900's hunting parties look like the place to be. :D
Thanks you guy's for the comments, I appreciate your time.
81police

Post by 81police »

The patina is pretty common. Something I've noticed over the years also, is that early production Model 81 magazines sometimes get a plum color different than the rest of the metal. Strange.

It looks like you have a lot of fun ahead of you! 81's in 300Sav are awesome hunting tools, but they pack a wallup to the shoulder!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator