did a search, couldn't find anything current about pricing.

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
CrazyVikingx55

did a search, couldn't find anything current about pricing.

Post by CrazyVikingx55 »

Hello,

I'm notorious for being long winded, so I'll try to be brief. I discovered the Model 8 and 81 fairly recently while researching intermediate cartridges and wildcats, (long windy road to connect the two to be sure) and I have to admit, its awesomeness has gotten my attention.

Fast forward to today, swung past the gun range to pick up a box of .30-30 for my dad and did my usual sweep of the consignment rack.... low and behold, staring back at me, is a Model 8 chambered in .35 Remington.

It seems rather basic, certainly not one of the fancy engraved models or anything. The metal hardware seems to be in great condition, the barrel moves freely in the sleeve, the bolt carrier pulls back, locks into place, and releases easily to slide forward and lock with the barrel. The barrel could do with a cleaning, but the bore isn't pitted and the rifling looks sharp. in my extraordinarily limited knowledge it seems to be in operational condition, but the range has not test fired the firearm, or had a gun smith check it over. The action even appears to have cosmoline on the bolt and bolt carrier. It has the small (5 round?) magazine, so its not a police or FBI model. It does not have peep sights. The wood has seen better days, I wouldn't say its been abused, but the finish is coming off, and is rather spotty actually, and most shocking of all, it would seem someone thought the firearm had an undesirable level of recoil, so the rear stock was cut and fitted with a rubber recoil pad. (or at least it appears that way, maybe its factory installed? strangely sloppy for a factory job though IMO.)

My question would be, assuming its in working order, what might a reasonable asking price for the firearm be?

I'll list the price in a few posts, but want to see what y'all have to say first. I didn't have a frame of reference when I saw it, but after checking GB and a few other places, I'm starting to think its well over priced. If the price can be made reasonable, given the nature of the firearm, I've got a spare pistol I could sell to the range in order to acquire the model 8.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

-CVx55
rem81auto

Re: did a search, couldn't find anything current about prici

Post by rem81auto »

$350.00
CrazyVikingx55

Post by CrazyVikingx55 »

yup.... the asking price is $750, I may need to make a counter offer... lol
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

sounds like they have .35 confused with .25
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

rem81auto wrote:$350.00
I agree. This is top dollar for a well used but functional altered rifle.
CrazyVikingx55

Post by CrazyVikingx55 »

Thank you much for the feedback guys. I was wondering if perhaps this was an estate sale kind of thing, the kids thought it was a really old valuable firearm.

Figure Ill swing by the range and have a talk with the guys behind the counter, and leave an "OBO" for the seller and see what happens.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Oh Grand & mighty Beowulf,

While I agree the asking price is inflated, remember some of the asking prices on Broker. At the same time many of our members remember the good ole days B4 the recent flurry of shortages. I think the fair price would be somewhere in the middle. Plus your would be getting a 35Rem, it's still in production. Many of our ladies can be fed only by reloading.
If your pistol could draw a "inflated" trade price, perhaps you might get a fair deal. Don't expect a Great trade, they price that high for a reason.
Phyrbird
SOKY
CrazyVikingx55

Post by CrazyVikingx55 »

Yeah, the price I was offered for my pistol was pretty painful. Granted its nothing special, XD .45 ACP Service model, with carry case and all XD gear, paperwork, etc. etc. Purchase price - $175, I figured its worth maybe $400 as a package, thought I'd at least get $250-300 for it. I wonder if a pawn shop will give me more for it lol.

But then again, the reason I'm willing to consider selling it is its redundant. I have a sub compact XDm in .40 S&W, and an XDm competition model in .45 ACP, So the .45 XD isnt really needed, its not anything really special, and I bought it used while I was in college, because my shotgun got stolen over xmas break. If I could get the Model 8 by selling the excess pistol plus a little cash, I think that would be fair.

I noted that the tag price had dropped from $750 down to $500 since my last visit, so someone may have done a bit more homework. My initial offer was $300, but after the firearm dealer told me they didn't know if it fired, hadn't tested it, and that I was welcome to test fire it at the range, after I owned it, I dropped that value to $250 and left my name and number in case the owner accepted. The manager was actually a little annoyed that I took down the rifle at the counter to inspect it in more detail. That being said, the only thing I saw that was out of sorts was the barrel shroud bluing was discolored under the front handguard. I couldn't tell if it was serious, or something that might buff out with a little elbow grease and polish. Guess Ill see what happens.

will post pictures if I wind up swapping a .45 for a .35 ;)
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

CViking,

If your going to clean up a blued surface I never use anything but 0000 steel wool and gun oil. Preferably Browning gun oil. It's the same kind of materials folks that rust blue use for carding in the blue process. This won't damage the existing finish (unless you are Real aggressive) and cleans up any rust B4 it pits. It also removes any oil varnish from decades ago.
Phyrbird
SOKY
CrazyVikingx55

Post by CrazyVikingx55 »

Phyrbird - excellent advice, thank you much. I may have one or more rifles in the collection that might come in handy for ;)
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

If I were you in this case I would try and sell the pistol on line. I really doubt that the pawn shop is going to give you anything that I would call a good deal. I personally wouldn't go $500 on the rifle but if I wanted it bad enough I might offer to go as far as $425 to see if they might budge on it. With cash in hand you may get it down to that. I have always bought at pawn shops but never sold to them as its always a very lowball deal. Good Luck what ever you decide. These rifles are indeed fun to own and shoot.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Don't sell your guns at a pawn shop unless you have become a meth addict and already lost all your teeth. :lol:

I'd sell the pistol online as you'll get more for it or hang onto and save up. Selling it to a friend is a good move too.

Lowered to $500.00 eh? I'm no haggler but I'd go back in there and try to get him down some more. Guns like that are very rare where I live so if I came across one in good shape I'd do what I could but $500.00 is doable for me.

With the recoil pad probably not original, that would be something of a green light for me to feel OK about tossing on a scope mount and getting the pad redone. I WILL NOT modify original guns unless bubba has already attacked.

Good luck!