Sighthound is off the hook, it is Roger's fault this time.

Posts about the Model 8
ROBOPUMP

Sighthound is off the hook, it is Roger's fault this time.

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I bid pretty heavy on this rifle and really wanted to get it. It just turned out that my pockets weren't deep enough for this one.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12610300

Most of you will notice the "S" curve style butt plate and the 25-35 Rem chamber. Roger has trained me to look closely at the barrel jacket inscription as he has found some rare ones. It appears that these rifles are much older than we thought and John Moses Browning was almost as old as the original Moses. The first patent date on this rifle is Oct. 9, in the year of our lord 900. There is no one in front of the 900 and it does not look like there was room for one. I think this was done by the roll die maker and not a results of the one breaking off. I don't know much about roll die manufacture, but I envision it to be similar to the newspaper type setting on plates. The roll die has to be done on a curved surface or round wheel so adequate pressure can be applied to indent the die into the metal of the barrel jacket or receiver. I would expect that the part to receive the engraving is also heated to near a malleable temperature. I think the die maker just skipped a letter and it resulted in being a 1000 years off.

Just some more thoughts and it pays to look at details. I tried to attach a picture, but the picture uploader looked like it was working, but when over, there was no picture. You will have to go to the GunAuction auction to see the detail of the barrel jacket inscription. It is clear enough to see that the one is missing.

Thank you again for your time.

ROB
Roger

Re: Sighthound is off the hook, it is Roger's fault this tim

Post by Roger »

Hey Rob,
I've got quite a few early m-8 s with that type barrel address,so I'll need to check to see if any of them have that #1 missing from the patent dates. You have a great eye for detail to have picked up on this oddity. Thanks for this post too. I feel that this 25/35 m-8 went a little higher than I would have wanted to pay, at least according to it's condition. I'd consider it a little rough,for 800 plus bucks. But i'm sometimes a little bit of a tightwad,unless it's something I really want badly!!
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I bid pretty heavy on this rifle and really wanted to get it. It just turned out that my pockets weren't deep enough for this one.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12610300

Most of you will notice the "S" curve style butt plate and the 25-35 Rem chamber. Roger has trained me to look closely at the barrel jacket inscription as he has found some rare ones. It appears that these rifles are much older than we thought and John Moses Browning was almost as old as the original Moses. The first patent date on this rifle is Oct. 9, in the year of our lord 900. There is no one in front of the 900 and it does not look like there was room for one. I think this was done by the roll die maker and not a results of the one breaking off. I don't know much about roll die manufacture, but I envision it to be similar to the newspaper type setting on plates. The roll die has to be done on a curved surface or round wheel so adequate pressure can be applied to indent the die into the metal of the barrel jacket or receiver. I would expect that the part to receive the engraving is also heated to near a malleable temperature. I think the die maker just skipped a letter and it resulted in being a 1000 years off.
If you really want it then for sure you will have to save for it.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Cool rifle Rob, I like it. :D
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

I agree the one was never there because there is not enough room. I think it would look like a run on (9,1900). Look at the space of the following two dates, they have more space for the one.
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon