Can you identify this Model 8 mount?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
ZakBradshaw

Can you identify this Model 8 mount?

Post by ZakBradshaw »

My model 8 has two holes drilled and tapped for either a scope or aftermarket iron sight. They are on the left side of the receiver towards the rear. They are at roughly 10 o'clock and spaced about an inch and a half apart. Any help is greatly appreciated!
ZakBradshaw

Re: Can you identify this Model 8 mount?

Post by ZakBradshaw »

If it's for a peep sight, I might consider trying to find the correct sight, but mainly interested so I can figure out the thread size so I can buy a couple of filler screws.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Zack, I`d venture that it would be a good possibility that the holes are for a "Williams Foolproof" peep sight. They were mounted with two screws on left side of the receiver. I don`t have one at the moment so can`t give you center of hole to hole measurements but the inch and a half you mentioned sounds about right for that sight. The model # is FP-81 according to my list of Williams application codes. There were other Williams sights used on the 8`s and 81`s that were designated for the Model 11 shotgun and the Browning A5. These sights do come up on Fleabay and GB from time to time. If you are looking to just plug the holes the thread should be 6-48. If something different, Brownell`s sells a plug screw assortment of different thread pitch.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
ZakBradshaw

Post by ZakBradshaw »

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know!
ZakBradshaw

Post by ZakBradshaw »

Numrich had one remaining for $17! I went ahead and bought it. If I don't like it, it's only $17 and I can always buy the plug screws later.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

You did very well for $17. The Williams has both elevation and windage adjustment so think you will like it.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
ZakBradshaw

Post by ZakBradshaw »

I'm sure its beat up, so it should look right at home on my rifle. Haha.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

ZaK,

The one I got from them was brand spankin' ;)
with mount screws :o
Phyrbird
SOKY
ZakBradshaw

Post by ZakBradshaw »

Really? I hope mine comes like that! I have had pretty good luck with Numrich. If you hunt really hard for vintage accessory type stuff they have really good deals. I bought four Cutts Compensator 12 gauge tubes on there for $9.97 each. They sell for $30+ each on eBay.

Phyrbird huh? Are you a Pontiac guy?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

1st car I bought, '65 Lemans; stacked headlights, 8-) 326, 4sp Muncy, Holley 650 dbl pumper. :shock:
It would smoke some of the the day's mustangs, :lol: but not the Mopar. :oops:
Of course my wife had to own a '67 1/2 Firebird 350. :roll:
Phyrbird
SOKY
ZakBradshaw

Post by ZakBradshaw »

I'm 23, but my first car was a 1980 Trans Am project car with t-tops. My parents ended up making me sell the car. I just recently bought another 1980 t-top Trans Am that needs to be completely redone. I keep trying to work on it, but then I get side tracked with guns and doing stuff to my truck (07 GMC Sierra Z71).
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

PM sent
Phyrbird
SOKY
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

1965, my first and second car were '57 Pontiac Super Chief, 347 (both ready for "Tri-Power" but they never got it, found a manifold but never $s for the electric fuel pump and carbs). Drove a 65 Lemans once, it was very fast.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

I'm 69...my first car was a 1951 Chev 2dr hardtop. Have one in my shop that I have been restoring and rebuilding for 17 years. I have a '93 tuned port fuel injected 350 V8 in it, with a 700R auto trans, and a Nova rear end, custom made Mustang II front end, and four link rear suspension. Paint and body work is all done, interior is all done, new tires and chrome rally wheels. Hope to have it back together and running this summer. All I need is a radiator, fuel tank, and computer to run the fuel injection. After 17 years, I am getting pretty excited about being able to drive and enjoy this one.

Just sharing,

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"1951 Chev 2dr hardtop..." very cool. After 17yrs you MIGHT be getting excited. :lol:

When I met my soon to be wife in '68, she was driving a 1950 2-door Chev. That fall her mother basically gave it away to get her a "good" car to drive to college! :oops:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine