It's Sighthound's fault!

Other great Remington rifles
ROBOPUMP

It's Sighthound's fault!

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Yeah, you Sighthound. You are the one that put me on to these. I am talking about the Remington model 11's with the three birds on each side. I thought that I had made a post when I acquired the 12 gauge and that I already had a 20 gauge about a month or so ago. This site has a poor search engine and I could not find it. If someone does find it, please let me know about it. I was on the hunt for a 16 gauge to complete this part of the Remington collection.

Well, I found it and will have it sometime next week. I will post pictures of all three then. It is a 1936 girl that I think will be in the 80-90% range with factory 28" full choke vent rib barrel. (Hey, I did learn to ask about matching serial numbers this time and barrel is s/n to the receiver)I really thought the 16 gauge would be hard to find in good condition and that I could win the auction without that dreaded divorce. It turned up on a fixed price auction and I talked the seller into a reduced price.

Later - got to go eat with the misses.

ROB
jack1653

Re: It's Sighthound's fault!

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Rob,

I know what you mean about it being sighthound's fault. But, I bet you have to admit that it is not TOTALLY sighthounds fault. :o Thank goodness for men of character who know that with a little encouragement they can influence us in our moments of weakness to pursue those things that will bring enjoyment like buying another gun that we do not need! :D

Shucks, if it were not for sighthound, I wouldn't have pursued building the Full Stock Match Rifle.
If it were not for sighthound I wouldn't have the pristine FN 1900 that came from Sweden with a wonderful story.
If it were not for sighthound, I wouldn't be working on the tenth of the "dirty dozen" FN"s.
If it were not for sighthound, I would be four rifles short of having one for every year.
If it were not for sighthound, my "jackitis" would have been almost non-exixtent. :lol: :lol: :lol:

All that being said, I guess I have to agree with you that it was sighthound's fault.

Regards,

Jack
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Rob and Jack,
I used to own 3 really nice Rem. M-11 s. One in each guage,20,16,12. All solid rib guns. The 20 guage had a special order 30" modified choke barrel. They were all 95% or better condition. But in my infinite wisdom, I sold them all to buy either A-5 s or Win. Levers. I don't even remember now!! Hind sight is always 20/20! A few months ago, I did pickup another 20 guage Rem m-11. It's a plain barrel,modified choke 28". It's only about 80% condition though. It's been on alot of hunting trips for sure. Some day I may take it out to blow up some clay targets. So in a nut shell, I wish i could blame Sighthound, but there's no chance any of this was his fault!!!
Good luck with your shotguns,Rob.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Guilty as charged I suppose but somehow I do not feel bad, more like an educator, collecting is sort of like eating a raw egg from the shell and once you start you have to keep at it. There is so many great things out there, functional works of art of master and self taught craftsmen. An old gunsmith I knew when young once said and I quote, "In the gunsmithing trade you will find the best artists, designers, pattern makers, machinists, sculpters, wood workers, welders, engravers, wood and metal finishers, cartridge designers, loaders and of course marksmen and also the worst businessmen" I have been fortunate to be around when these works of art were available at little cost having gone out of favor and replaced by newer models, collecting has replaced using and many fine pieces are now safe queens and is rewarding to see some of the pieces going where they are used for purpose intended.
Keep up your efforts at preservation and appreciation gentlemen and all are richly rewarded. Jerry
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey thanks Jerry, it's rewarding to know that we here on the forum have such a good ambassadeur for our hobby. Very aptly put.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I think you can tell by the title and the post, it was meant as a compliment. If it weren't for you and your post, I would not have even known that these guns existed. The average eye does not pick up on these unless you know what you are looking for. Two of the sellers of these three guns did not know there was any difference in these and any other Remington model 11.

Thank you sir!

ROB
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Oh, ironically the seller of the 16 GA did refer to the gun as being a "RARE BIRD". But he was referring to the factory installed vent rib.

ROB
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Thanks guys, everyone has info gained through chance, good fortune, study and pure luck and this forum is a blessing for sharing each ones good fortune, the only way it could be better is if we could gather in person and this happens now and then, Jack, 81 police, sarge and others have accomplished such visits and I was fortunate to have imfuncity visit for a few days and if I can ever get off my duff I intend to do some traveling. In the meantime happy trails to better pieces and knowledge. jerry
81police

Post by 81police »

We are certainly blessed to have Jerry as a member on this site, you just never know what he's going to come up with!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I missed out on the great M8 that Jack bought and I will make a reply on that thread later.

I am about over the three birditis as a rare disease spread by Southhound. It took 4 injections, one 12 Ga, one 16 Ga with factory installed vent rib barrel(serial numbers match) and two 20 Ga. They are out there wanting to infest me with iron and walnut. My only defense is pictures of Ben Franklin and George Washington and forever stamps. I think the 12 Ga is my favorite and did the most good.

Happy holidays to all and I hope you have a Merry CHRISTMAS.

ROB

PS: Three of the 4 sellers had no clue that these were any different than any other model 11. The pictures show 4 shotguns with a total of 24 birds engraved on the receivers.
Attachments
IMG_1562 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1562 (800x600).jpg (309.94 KiB) Viewed 11426 times
IMG_1556 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1556 (800x600).jpg (298.85 KiB) Viewed 11426 times
IMG_1567 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1567 (800x600).jpg (289.66 KiB) Viewed 11426 times
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Hey Robopump, Very nice collection of early 3 bird engraving pattern and I sort of hate to do this but you ain't done yet, your collection is all the A of Model 11s variation and these also came in the 3 shot Model S Sportsman variation with the different forend, checkering and some but not all will have S prefix on serial number, sorry but the devil made me do it. Hope the kids and wife don't go hungry or without shoes or Christmas because of this Devil, again Sorry but while am at it another variation you likely are aware of and even harder to find is the 11C with straight English style grip, mostly Trap and special order guns I think. My computer skills are very limited but If you would like pictures of some of these send me a mailing address and will mail prints, sodbuster37@q.com. or mail 3313 Camrose Ln, Boise, ID 83706-2712. Jerry
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Thanks Jerry,
As you may recall, I had posted a GunBroker auction on one of these trap shotguns about a month or so ago that several thought had sold fairly cheap. Sorry for the mistake on the login name. I looked at "Southhound" and it didn't look right, but went on anyway. I don't know what I was thinking.

Two of the shotguns have 4 digit serial numbers. One does not have the "S" on the receiver, but it is included with the matching serial number on the barrel. As a group, the serial number spread is very wide. I did see one on GB that had the "S" in the serial number, but it was in very worn condition(but still very serviceable). I passed on that one as the bid price and shipping plus a transfer fee put it well over $300.00.

Strangely, you have sodbuster in your email address and back in the old citizens band radio days, my handle was clodbuster.

Later and happy hunting and collecting.

ROB
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Jerry and Rob,
You two seem to be the model 11 guys here on this forum. I posted elsewhere on this forum about a m-11 I saw at a gunshow with those pointed cheeks,straight grip,rem/umc buttplate,and D-grade like checkering on the stocks. This was a 12 guage with a factory solid rib,28", full choke barrel. My question is whether it was a trap grade gun or just a field grade gun with special order wood. I was unable to buy it because I had already purchased too much "stuff"
The m-11 was different than any I have ever seen or owned. Unfortunately,I didn't look at the serial #. However it was not engraved nor didn't say anything on the receiver that I noticed. I'm only looking for you guys opinion on what you may think it was.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Rob, looking at your pictures again I realize I made a mistake in thinking your guns were A variation and in reality they are the S (Sportsman 3 shot) variation. Really shook me up as I have never seen a 3 bird engraving on an A. Your email and another look brought me up to date. Roger I will see if I can find your post for another look. Thanks guys, give me something to do indoors today since it is -4 outside and the Kee birds are flying. Jerry
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Found that post and it was a bargain, a1909 11c Trap model, straight english grip, solid rib with mid rib bead, said was used as hunting gun, understandable in those days most were lucky to have one gun.Jerry