Pistol Grip Model 8 Pics

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Headoftheholler

Pistol Grip Model 8 Pics

Post by Headoftheholler »

Until I can get this barrel disassembled for rebluing, figured I might as well put her back together and shoot a bit.
81police

Re: Pistol Grip Model 8 Pics

Post by 81police »

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with this Model 8 Headoftheholler! Love that buttplate btw too :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Again, if I hadn't said it before, you've got a nice rifle right there!
Any luck with trying various "tricks" to get your barrel removed from the jacket? Hope you are having a good time with your many gun projects.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Headoftheholler,

It appears there are three screws in the bottom tang in the pictureof the bottom tang. :? When you had it apart, did you find the purpose of the third screw? I don't recall having ever seen three screws in the bottom tang. :o

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey jack,
I have 2 round knob pistol grip m-8s that have the 3rd screw. It's a wood screw, similar to the ones on some winchester 1886 s. I'm not sure why they're there other than fascining the stock more securely. I feel that mine both look like factory installs. I vaguely remember John Henwood mentioning those screws in his book. But I could be wrong. I hope this helps answer this question.Or opens another can of worms!
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Roger,

Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to take a closer look at my round knobs the next time I have them out. I know the last three I just purchased did not have any. It doesn't make sense to me why they would put a wood screw to help hold the stock when the normal metal bolt goes clear through the stock and taps into the top metal tang, UNLESS the tap was stripped. Just another inconsistency I guess.

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Jack,
Curiosity has gotten the best of me here on this issue. So i took the time to look at Henwood's book. And my vague memory was correct,which really surprises me,more than I can say. On page51-production changes - under the heading-Attachment and Dimensions he says,quote"rarely an additional fastening in the form of a wood screw through the lower tang was added.To date only about six rifles having this screw have been reported.all were made prior to1914,and most have half-pistol grip buttstocks." end of quote. I tend to agree with you Jack, about why they were used. I think the ones on the Winchester 1886 s were used because of the overly long lower tangs. That really doesn't apply here. Anyway, there you have it.
Thanks
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Roger,

Thanks again for the specifics in Henwood's book. That fine print eludes me as well as my CRS. :o I am going to check my rifles for the rare exceptions. I have 25 of these round knobs and maybe I can find one with the extra screw. If there are none, the hunt will be on. :lol:

Regards,

Jack
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hello Jack, I know that you at least one of these in your collection with the extra factory screw, as you purchased the pistol grip Model 8 in 35 Rem., from us a couple of years back.
Wow, "Twenty Five" pistol grip Model 8's, now that's impressive sir! I have a mint (well ... lets say 98%-99%) 1916 pistol grip in 35 Rem., that is a favorite of mine to hunt with and it's always with me every year at deer camp. I have probably put a few marks on it, during the hunting seasons, but in my opinion that's part of the fun. Its hard to decide which one to take each day and I usually do mix it up a bit. The round knob pistol grip versions are my favorite model 8's. Here's a couple of pictures of my 1916.
Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Attachments
IMG_6701.JPG
IMG_6701.JPG (217.59 KiB) Viewed 13362 times
IMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG (58.89 KiB) Viewed 13362 times
Last edited by S and S HUNTCLUB on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Bob,

You are quite correct. I found it and another one so I quit looking. The second one is on a 1914 .32 which I call a deluxe because it is a factory checkered and in the 98% range in condition. I will check the rest of them when the snow is blowing!! I will have to add that item on the inventory description.

I am sort of relieved that I had a couple because I was really dreading taking on another search. :lol: :lol: I guess it is obvious that I like these old round knob pistol grips. ;) Our friend 81police often asks me; "How many is enough?" and my reply is always; " I hope that I don't find out!!" :D

Regards,

Jack
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I think I may have a "reasonable explanation" for the third screw in the lower tang for the pistol grip model 8's. I do not have one with the third screw, but I do have one that looks like it had a spot for one and it was filled in. I think the trigger plate was a forging and the part was used for the straight stock and the pistol grip. The lower tang screw hole was very near the end of the tang. The lower tang on the trigger plate was bent to take the form of the pistol grip stock. This would make the tang screw hole pointing too far rearward and not anywhere close to lining up with the upper tang hole. So, a tang screw hole was placed further up on the tang to get the screw in line with the upper tang hole. The lower tang is approximately 4" long from the back of the trigger guard to the end of the tang on straight stock models and pistol grip models. I am thinking that the lower tang hole was either filled, left unpunched or punched and filled with a wood screw. I have one that looks like the hole was there, but filled in the forging process. This is serial no. 26033 (1911). See picture. The lower tang on the model 81 is much more curved, but was shortened to approx. 3" to get the tang screw lined up with the upper tang.

ROB
Attachments
IMG_1260 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1260 (800x600).jpg (246.11 KiB) Viewed 13369 times
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Rob,
That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I'll take a closer look at my other round knobs.
I have only 5. Seems pretty paltry compared to your total, Jack.
And by the way, Bob, what a beautiful 35 Cal. round knob m-8.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Bob, that is a fantastic RPG 8 you have. :shock:
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments! The 1916 is a favorite of mine for the woods, as it's a fast shouldering rifle, it's very accurate and I really enjoy hunting with it.

The rifle was purchased from a gentleman in PA. It belonged to his Grandpa and when he passed away, the rifle was given to him. When I purchased the rifle, the gentleman said he was selling it because he could not use a "semi-auto" rifle for hunting in the area of the state where he lived and he wanted someone to be able to enjoy it. I took him up on his offer & gave the rifle a good home, here in Michigan! It is a great hunting rifle. Thanks again for your comments guys!

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Headoftheholler

I'm about to the point of giving up :( I am the type that loves to shoot all my rifles but 30 rem is hard to nail down anywhere.
Just dont have the time to start reloading. Guess I will either look to trade this one to a 81 in 35 Rem or sell outright as much as I hate to.
81police

Post by 81police »

You can buy loaded 30Rem ammo here...

http://www.buffaloarms.com/30_Remington ... x?CAT=4445
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Headoftheholler

I have checked that page every day for the last 6 months , its has always been backordered, even emailed them and they said they had no plans on making any more anytime soon.