rare barrel jacket marking-rem. m-8

Posts about the Model 8
Roger

rare barrel jacket marking-rem. m-8

Post by Roger »

Well fellow members, I recently purchased a rem. M-8 with 30/30 rem. Caliber marking. It's a round knob pistol grip stock, with the typical rem/umc marked hard rubber buttplate. From the serial #26xxx, it appears to be from 1910-1911 vintage. I know this is late for a 30/30 chambering, but J Henwood says they may be found up to 30 xxx range. This isn't my point though. It has what Henwood calls the very rare 9 the type barrel jacket marking. It has no 1911 patent date but is marked Rem/umc. I can't post pics with my tablet computer( only one I have). But will take some of it if some one can post them for me. Any comments or opinions are certainly encouraged here.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Roger

Re: rare barrel jacket marking-rem. m-8

Post by Roger »

Fellow members,
I had hoped to open some dialogue about this fairly rare barrel jacket address.. John Henwood says in his book that he was contacted 3 times during his study period about this address but wasn't able to examine any of the 3 rifles himself. Please contact me if you have a mod.8 with this address or have seen it before.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Roger,

If you can post a picture of the complete jacket lettering it would help. Forward a picture to 81police or imfuncity and they can post if for you.

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Jack,
Thanks for your response. I'll get a picture or two taken this weekend.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,
I've contacted 81 police,who has agreed to post some pics of my rare barrel jacket address. Upon further research, I've discovered it is actually what John Henwood called the 13th type of barrel address. He claimed that he was only contacted about 2 m-8s with this address. Stay tuned for some photos of this barrel jacket. This is potentially a quite rare variation.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Anybody got one like this? Here's Roger's barrel jacket marking...
Attachments
WP_20131013_018.jpg
WP_20131013_018.jpg (163.46 KiB) Viewed 10218 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hey Roger, Thanks for getting the pictures over to Cam for him to post. We have yet to own a Model 8 with this type of barrel address, nor have we seen a rifle with this barrel address. It's a unique one for sure.

I will also add, that John Henwood's book, "The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles" is an incredible publication, with information and knowledge from many well known Remington enthusiasts and collector's.

That being said, the publication is not "Gospel" of everything that existed and how many of each etc. It is however, a great publication with a wealth of information that was collected at that point in time. Since the publication, many new rifles have surfaced that add to the history and knowledge of the Remington Model 8's, the Model 81's and the FN 1900's.

For instance, On page 47 in the publication regarding "Top-Tang" butt plates & continued on page 48... they made mention of (about six) rifles so far reported, that have surfaced with the "Top-Tang" butt plate. They're a very rare version of the butt plates that were offered on these rifles, but we have sold 6 rifles in the past with this style butt plate and we still have a 1912 pistol grip round knob in 30 Rem., as well as a 1916 straight grip top-tang in 35 Rem.

That is eight rifles Roger that we have seen and Henwood's book mentioned ( about six ) rifles having been reported. We have seen many other "Top Tang" Model 8's that have sold at auction as well.

One a side note: The elusive "Y614" Remington Model 8 in 35 Rem., was a "Top-Tang" Model 8. We purchased this rifle just out of curiosity and found out it had an "altered serial number" and it was most likely a stolen rifle. We returned the rifle to the seller and he sold that P.O.S. on another auction site for $175. We have the serial number and documentation of the original serial number in our files.

You can read more about the "Y614" model 8 in forum, under The Great Model 8 section. The post was "The auction that is driving me crazy".

That being said Roger, I am sure they're are other rifles that are out there, with your barrel address. New history surfaces on a yearly basis and that is exciting for me. I appreciate your post & thanks for the picture!

That is one of the great benefits of having this forum, we get to see new variations all the time and it helps us all understand just how incredible these rifles were and still are today!

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Bob, Thanks for your response. I'm sure you are correct, and more rifles with this barrel address do exist out there. This was one of the reasons I felt it was important enough to post on the forum. I'm hoping that some more surface. Mine is actually 3000 numbers before either of the examples that Henwood gave. So it stands to reason that there are more out there somewhere. But that being said,I've only seen or owned this one example. Please post a response if you know of any of these rifles with this barrel address.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
olskool

Post by olskool »

i think i have one marked like this also, i will look at it this evening when i get home. it is marked with the 25-36 cal.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

here is one, a complete barrel assembly, that just sold on ebay for 130.00 dollars http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Model ... rue&rt=noh
c&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_1051wt_642

[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Thank you for your response. Bob of S@S hunt club called it earlier. These are evidently somewhat scarce,but may be seen from time to time.This one you posted is only the second one i've ever seen.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
norm

Post by norm »

I've got a Model 8 with the same barrel jacket marking. Serial no. 28xxx 25 caliber with straight grip stock and steel buttplate. Bought the rifle about 3 years ago and can't say positively that it is all origanal.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Norm,
Your serial # range falls right into the range of mine and the other examples quoted by John Henwood. There is a definite serial range for these particular markings that don't have the 1911 date but are marked rem/umc.I still maintain that they're fairly scarce. I don't believe that they're worth anymore, but just an oddity. However,that may change with time. Who knows.
Thanks for your response,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

If you look closely at the picture of Roger's rifle inscription, you will see that it is not exactly 100% the 13th style. It has commas after the patent dated rather than semi-colons in the 13th style. This is mentioned with a rifle in the 11th style.

If you recall, my Franken rifle with the highest known serial number 69929 has the same inscription as Roger's rifle with colons between the patent dates. One explanation for this is that the roll dies for this procedure have raised letters and punctuation marks. Sometimes small parts break off the die like the tops of semi-colons and would give such a results on the rifle engraving to look like commas.

I am going to check to see if I have any other rifles with this inscription(with or without semi-colons).

More knowledge is good.

ROB
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Rob,
All the other known examples are from 1910/1911 time frame. One theory might be that your barrel jacket sat in a parts bin for a very,very long time . If this were Winchester we were talking about, I would say that this might be a possible explanation. But with Remington,I couldn't really say. Any opinions on this.?
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com