Jack1653's latest acquisition

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
81police

Jack1653's latest acquisition

Post by 81police »

Jack wanted me to share some pictures with y'all of his "Special Police" Model 81 marked to "Sheriff Dept Los Angeles County". Very fine, all original gun (you know I'm envious!). :D As an added bonus, it still has its original sling swivel hooks and original sling!
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
d.jpg
d.jpg (276.95 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
c.jpg
c.jpg (160.87 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Re: Jack1653's latest acquisition

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

Thanks a million for posting the picture for me. :D Half the fun of getting these rifles is to get your reaction and having you add the information about the rifle to your data base. No need to be envious my Friend because you know that you will be the first to empty the magazine when we get together. :o One of these days I might get to shoot yours but I won't hold my breath. :lol:

This rifle was indeed another rare find and it is in very good to excellent condition. I think this is the first one that came with the correct swivels and an original sling. It is one of the better Police Models that I have seen and was very clean. There are some very minor surface scratches on the left side of the receiver where the lettering is embossed. The wood is beautiful and not beat all to heck like the majority of these Police models. I feel this one is an exception and was well cared for by who ever it was assigned to. The magazine is serial numbered to the rifle and that is another plus.

It is my pleasure to share the pictures.

Regards,

jack1653
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Jack,

What's the date code?

Did Boyt make the sling?

Jim
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Shame on you Jack :shock: this should never have left CA... it should be in my gun room!!! ;)

(Or, congrats on another great fine.)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey there,Jack,
That's quite a nice addition to your collection. It looks well cared for,especially for a police rifle. I'm sure most of them received some hard knocks while in service. Congrats on another great find!
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Nice find, Jack!
Is the 1907 sling stamped or marked in any way?

Thanks.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Imfuncity,

The rifle could have stayed in California. One of us in another state would have held the magazine for you.

Jim
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Jim,

How could I have failed to provide that information? :oops: I guess I was still in awe at how nice it looked.

The serial number on the rifle is in the 18xxx range, 1942, and has a barrel code of "BL" which gives it a production date of January 1942. It is too bad it could not have been one year newer and I could have stopped my search for the 1943.

I do not know anything about slings so I don't know the answer to your question. I checked for stamping on the leather and saw none. I looked for markings on the strap clips and saw none so In do not know if it is a Boyt or not. I did check with Cameron and he said it was the sling that came on the Police models. He has some pictures from Remington showing the slings and he said my sling matched those in the picture. If you need additional pictures, let me know and I will post some more.

Regards,

Jack

Hey Adam,

I don't know if the sling is a 1907 or not. My assumption is that Cameron is correct and that would place the date in the 1940's. It may well be that a similar pattern was available in 1907 but I have no way of knowing. The condition of the leather would lead me to believe that it is not as old as a 1907, but I am not an expert on leather or leather slings.

Regards,

Jack
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Hey Jack,

I was just curious about the barrel date code since we know several of the L A rifles were early 1942.

If you feel too bad about this being a '42, you can sell it to me. It will look good next to its younger brother (I can own the magazine in Texas). Then you will have even more incentive to look for the 1943 model.

In the pictures you posted, the sling looks like a Whelen type. Some of those were made by Boyt in Des Moines.

Thanks ... you lucky old rascal.

Jim

Hey Cameron,

In your database, do you have date codes for all the L A Police Guns?

Are you going to Tulsa in November?

Jim
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Jack,

Thank you for your follow-up replies. The term "1907 sling" that I mention just refers to the style of leather sling your rifle is wearing. The 1907 sling was used by the US military (and police forces) from the introduction of the M1903 Springfield bolt rifle until the M1 Garand semiautomatic. In fact, the BAR rifle used by the US military as late as the early 70's in some National Guard units "wore" a special version of the 1907 leather sling until about 1944-45, when web/canvas slings became the standard.

I am not a sling expert, just interested in the rifle you shared with us. It is absolutely "normal" for no markings to be present. In the 1920-1960 period, many leather slings were made by a large number of manufacturers.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

In advertisement for the "Special Police" 81 it reads, "furnished with or without 7/8 inch adjustable length sling with detachable hook type swivels". The picture they depict is identical to Jack's. I've seen very few Police 81's with their original sling, but one I do recall with a "Boyt" brand sling. Most of the LA County rifles on file are either from Jan. 1942 or March 1942.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Cam, if they are nominally 7/8" slings or sling loops, then they aren't US military contract - those should be 1-1/4" in width (I just checked one of mine again) - but they are identical in all respects to the M1907. The same manufacturers (Boyt and many more) made slings identical to the 1907 style Mil-Spec leather slings, but "narrower", for sporting sling loops/swivels. The shotguns I like from the WW1/WW2/Korean conflicts can be found with original 1907 slings like the Garand and Springfield rifles. Again, these are 1-1/4" wide slings.

Least that's what I think..... :roll:

I am always on the lookout for manufacturer ID stuff - evidence of who crafted various accoutrements - it's all part of the gun fun! I have a period correct/vintage/whatever you call it "sporter" M1907 sling I picked up recently for next to nothing at a gun show that is 7/8" wide, no maker marks, but looks great with a well-worn patina - it will go with one of my shotguns.

Adam
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

That's a beauty for sure Jack! We like that its a Sheriff Dept. rifle verses the L.A. Police Dept. rifles. A bit more rare than the L.A. Police rifles. We received the heads-up on this rifle a couple a months ago from one of the forum members. Ironmen Arms & Antiques had it listed in their military listings, with a lot of close up pictures and the original selling price was a little bit higher at that time.

For those of you with sling questions, the original listing for this rifle has some nice pictures that may help to answer your questions.
http://www.ironmenarms.com/listings.php?id=668

This rifle is indeed "all original", with the correct short shaft sling swivel eye hooks and factory issue sling. To find these all original & as they left the factory, makes them all the more special.

Congrats on another great rifle Jack!

Enjoy Life, Bob & Jeff @ S and S HUNTCLUB
81police

Post by 81police »

Here's another L.A. County Sheriff Dept. rifle (#16) with the correct, original sling & hooks.
Attachments
12402-47.jpg
12402-47.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 12925 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Great reference pics, Cam - thanks for providing them! Again, a wonderful example of an extremely well-preserved police gun, Jack.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Very cool Jack ... way to go. Dennis
81police

Post by 81police »

here's one more representation of the "Special Police" sling, which is identical to Jack's...
Attachments
Picture 2112827413.jpg
Picture 2112827413.jpg (59.94 KiB) Viewed 12862 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator