Crack in wrist of stock on Mod 8

Posts about the Model 8
LTCret

Crack in wrist of stock on Mod 8

Post by LTCret »

Gents, I have a 35 cal Mod 8 which has about a 2 1/2" thin crack in the left side only of the butt stock's wrist. It is between the 2 metal straps, and follows the grain of the wood from the front end of the bottom strap up and back. It is not loose in any way, as far as I can tell. I've put considerable torque on it and nothing moves. Would anyone here shoot it as is, or would it be prudent to reenforce it with either a screw (hate to do that), or maybe wrap leather around it and wet and dry it until it gets very tight. Any experience or thoughts along these lines, good or bad would be appreciated. Jim...
Hardrada55

Re: Crack in wrist of stock on Mod 8

Post by Hardrada55 »

What I have seen in the past that I really like is a gunsmith who can fix a cracked wrist with a wooden "pin". Looks a lot better than a nail or screw. I do not know anyone who does that kind of work. Maybe Eric Hutchins in Maine.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
LTCret

Re: Crack in wrist of stock on Mod 8

Post by LTCret »

Hardrada55. Thanks you for your info. Funny thing, I'm contemplating giving the rifle to my grandson, also in Maine.
Does anyone have contact info on Eric Hutchins? Thanks, Jim...