Model 8 in slow motion

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Forgotten Weapons

Model 8 in slow motion

Post by Forgotten Weapons »

Figured folks here might find this interesting - I just finished a range trip with a Model 8 in .25 cal, getting footage for a video I'm putting together for my web site on the rifle. In addition to normal video, I also took some slow motion footage (at 480 frames/sec), and I think it came out really neat. The long recoil action of the 8 shows all sorts of stuff happening during the firing cycle... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxBObLZgUU0
sighthound

Re: Model 8 in slow motion

Post by sighthound »

Thank You, Fantastic, always wondered why some cases had a flat spot on one side of mouth, your slow motion video shows case mouth hitting top of receiver, ends the mystery and provides the answer. Thank You Sir, Jerry
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Very Cool ... tks for posting.
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

Wow....slo mo "double shuffle". That's what you call, looooong recoil.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Forgotten Weapons,

Thank you so very much for sharing your clip. I have been wondering for some time how this would look. I just knew there had to be a way of making one of these clips. 81police and I have been trying to do this for some time and the result have been disappointing. I have contacted a videographer for one of those ultra slow motion shots and the cost is very high for the final edited version.

I am told that all 5 empty cartridges are in the air after the last shot. This is the picture I have been wanting to see. Maybe you can capture that for us to see. Congratulations again for your accomplishment.

Regards,

jack1653
Forgotten Weapons

Post by Forgotten Weapons »

Well, FWIW, I used a Casio Exilim ZR200 camera to take that shot. You can get them for $200 or less on Amazon, and I've been very impressed with mine for the price. It'll do 120, 240, 480, and 1000 fps video, although the 1000 fps mode is very low resolution. I find that 240 or 480 is generally the best balance of speed and quality.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Way-cool indeed. Thanks for sharing it.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning. Wow is all I can think of to say. These rifles are an important part of our lives here on this forum. To be able to finally witness one of them in slo-mo action is very,very,cool.
Thanks for your time and efforts.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Ian,

Thanks for taking the time to share the link on our website. We all very much appreciate it! I've dreamed of one day making a video using a VERY high speed camera but the cost is astounding. The quality of your video is excellent and helps many to see long recoil in action. Keep up the great work, love your site :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

If you really study the video, you will see that there is no kick of the rifle until the action is all the way back. This may explain the unexpected kick of these rifles. Instead of feeling just the force of the ammo, we feel the mass of the bolt carrier and the barrel coming to a rapid stop in the receiver. Ouch!!!
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

That's the problem with any gun designed on the long recoil principle. There's a lot of metal mass moving at high speed coming to a sudden stop.
TRX

Post by TRX »

You're getting the same amount of recoil, but the shape of the "recoil signature" is different.

Nice video, too. For those of you who haven't been FW's web site, www.forgottenweapons.com has a mountain of nifty stuff.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I agree, experience and engineering school kinda convinced me. It's just like my Siamese Mauser in 45-70, it weighs in at 10.3 pounds. The Marlin in the same caliber gave me 3 pairs of broken glasses, and 2 scars in the eyebrow from scope recoil. :twisted:
The Siamese is actually fun to shoot, 8-) it Pushes not smacks. Same recoil and energy, but the extra mass changes the "signature" to a more pleasant experience.
The 460 S&W is similar, the 8-3/8" compensated barrel recoils different than the 5". Yeah, it's loud, jumps some, but my daughter had fun shooting it. (Not a lot)
:ugeek: :ugeek:
Phyrbird
SOKY
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Back in 2006 I bought a very high speed (capable of going up to 5000 frames per second, as I remember) Red Lake video camera to perform an engineering study of the M240B 7.62mm MG for analysis of problems associated with the recoil buffer. It was about $20K at the time and had to be attached to a laptop. That was back when I was at the USAF gunsmith shop at Lackland AFB, so I don't have access to it now. I also did some motion studies associated with the M4 carbine. There is definitely a learning curve to be climbed.
gcro3948

Post by gcro3948 »

what an amazing video, I watch it several times thank you