New old guy check in' in

New Member Introductions
Les Staley

New old guy check in' in

Post by Les Staley »

Long time hunter/shooter/accumulater here..bought this 1949 model 81 in 35 remington a couple of weeks ago..don't think it's been fired in 30 years..nice clean gun..bright crisp bore..oiled it up and tried it out..stove pipe jambs, and would leave the empty brass laying on top of the cartridges in the mag..soooo... With the help of this great forum, a phone call to Pitchy and some good tutorials I managed to disassemble, tweak the extractor a bit, and reassemble without any parts leftover..best part... IT WORKS!!!! Meanwhile, found a used not abused Williams Foolproof sight complete with the unobtainium mounting screw that mounts in the stern of the receiver in the factory mounting hole!! I don't do pictures, but could text a couple via cel phone to someone if they want to post 'em.. I'll be lurking here waiting for Whitetail season here in north Idaho... Les
Roger

Re: New old guy check in' in

Post by Roger »

Hey Les,
Welcome aboard. I'm glad you were able to fix your m-81. Hunting with these old rifles is a blast. I hunt every day I can during our short does a only season for rifles. I also use my other JMBrowning designed Win. 1894 s,1886, and M-71 s . It truly rewarding to take deer with them. Good luck and have some fun.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Howdy Les,

We're glad you finally joined up to say hi! I know there's some frequent "lurkers" to the forums but we appreciate it when they occasionally drop in to say "hi". Congrats on getting your rifle back up running, sounds like you did a great job on it.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Les Staley

Post by Les Staley »

Glad to be here..gonna try some hand loads with the 200 gr. Hornady FTX..gummy tip pointed tips..it sure likes the Rem. coreloct round nose..laid two touching each other on paper at 50 yds while sighting in the Williams Foolproof..made an adjustment and next range time will try her at 100..I usually chronograph my loads and run a 'puter program to get trajectory chart..end up tapeing it to the side of the stock...makes this old man a little more dangerous...(with a laser rangefinder)...trouble is, these whitetails don't usually give you time for all that..
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

That's the problem with ballistics charts taped to the gun. If you need them you won't have the time to use them in most cases. Best thing is to zero for 100 yards, and you are pretty sure to make a good enough hit at any range between 0 and 150 yards. If you expect getting shots at a longer range, you really should be using another rifle, preferably with a scope mounted on it.