Gripcaps for M81

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Phyrbird

Gripcaps for M81

Post by Phyrbird »

Are there any of the forum that have an Model 81 (early '38 with pistol grip & checkering) with a grip cap? I'd really appreciate if you could send me or PM me some photos.
Those here on the site just show side views, I need some bottom and angled photos please. I'm trying to correct a blooper with good taste.

Thanx
Phyrbird
SOKY
siamon

Re: Gripcaps for M81

Post by siamon »

I don't know if this has been discussed before or not. I have a keen eye and have notice some differentces in the buttstocks on the Model 8. Henwood does point out some differeces on the botton, straight, semi pistol grip with the ball rounded type and the semi pistol grip flat type. He does not mention what I have observed. I am talking about the top of the buttstock. If you do a search on Gunbroker for Remington model 8 and look at the offerings, you will see what I am talking about. The issue is the shape of the hump area just back from the wrist grip on the top of the buttstock. I have no idea what this part of the buttstock is called. In some cases, there is a scalloped area on both sides of the hump similar to this same area on all model 81's. Some will show just a rounded hump. I have seen this with all three cases of the of the buttstock, straight, semi pistol grip with round knob, and semi grip with flat knob. I have tried to determine if this was an early option and fased out later or not. This seems to be throughout the model 8 production. Henwood does state that no two model 8's were the same.
81police

Post by 81police »

This is the best I have Phyrbird, an 81-B from around 1940,

photo courtesy of Corey Creamer.
Attachments
_DSC6960.JPG
_DSC6960.JPG (158.02 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Thanks, that helps. Is there a chance of some photos of the face of the end cap??
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm pretty sure this was the style used,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/232541 ... ymer-black
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Cam...Thanks for the photo with the closeup of the checkering pattern. I have an 81 with a plain stock coming soon that will more than likely be a checkering project. The link for Midway and grip cap appreciated too.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Found a Real good candidate:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=238

Thanks to the Great guys of the site.... :D
Phyrbird
SOKY