My Restored Model 11 Remington

Other great Remington rifles
Headoftheholler

My Restored Model 11 Remington

Post by Headoftheholler »

My model 8 was not my first humpback, picked this shotgun up a while back in a trade, always thought that the humpback reciever design was as classic as can be. The similar browning A5's while they are nice, are getting unaffordable around here ($1000-$1800)
This Model 11 was made in 1948 (last year of production (i think), it came to me with no bluing remaining, a cracked forearm and a piece of leather as a buttplate. I found a NOS forearm online and a buttplate, reblued and refinished the stock set myself (rust bluing).
This is one I won't be letting go of.
ctgodog

Re: My Restored Model 11 Remington

Post by ctgodog »

Nice job on the Model 11...I did the same to my Model 11, 12 gauge, that had the full choke cut of to 23". After refinishing the shotgun, I sent the barrel to a guy in California, and he installed screw in chokes for me. I love the way it looks and shoots.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Compliments again on the restoration of the Sportsman. What product do you use for the rust bluing? I`ve had good results with both Mark Lee Express Blue and Herters original Belgian blue.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
olskool

Post by olskool »

very nice!
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
Headoftheholler

Post by Headoftheholler »

Sarge756 wrote:Compliments again on the restoration of the Sportsman. What product do you use for the rust bluing? I`ve had good results with both Mark Lee Express Blue and Herters original Belgian blue.
Joe
Thank you, I use the Herter's Belgian on all my projects, its great stuff.
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Love those 11's especially the straight grip english style, usually found on early guns and 11C trap models, so many variations 11A, 11B, 11C, 11S like yours and of course the hand engraved models D, E & F, if you collect look for the roll engraving original variations with 3 birds on each side of receiver, not near as spendy as hand engraved and still hard to find. Still a mystery to me is the 11P police model, I would assume this may be a 11R variation??? the only one I have seen with P part of serial number is 20 ga, 28" barrel, heavy almost beaver tail forearm and with polychoke, now could the P suffix mean poly or police???, so little published Remington info. Anyone have thoughts or knowledge? Maybe gun is just late factory parts cleanup in 1948.
Also, gun is 11S, code L TT, 1948, serial over 1,088,xxx,xxx and barrel also marked skeet and seems this is very long for skeet barrel. Wish some knowledgable dedicated author would take on Remington guns.
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Sighthound, Headoftheholler,

The Model 11 that I referenced above, has the three birds on each side. I didn't even know that they were rare until one of the forum members pointed it out to me.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

She's a beauty! Great refinish work, your Sportsman is a fine showcase of your restoration talents.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.