Pictures of the FN Manufacturing Plant in 1912

S and S HUNTCLUB

Pictures of the FN Manufacturing Plant in 1912

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Check out this link to some nice pictures of the FN Manufacturing Plant in 1912. There is 26 pages of various operations (pictures) in the plant. Page #17 (First Picture / lower right hand corner) shows a rack of what appears to be newly manufactured FN 1900's (?), sitting in the gun rack.

http://www.herstalgroup.com/english/pdf/livre1912.pdf

We like these old vintage pictures of the machinery and the people that produced these wonderful rifles. You can just imagine that Remington had similar machinery in their plants as well.

Enjoy Life, S and S HUNTCLUB
rem81auto

Re: Pictures of the FN Manufacturing Plant in 1912

Post by rem81auto »

Very cool ... thanks for posting.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Very interesting to see all those women wearing loose floppy dresses apparently operating machine tools. I wonder how many of them were killed or injured by being pulled into the machinery? I am a little surprised that at that time women were performing such work. It seems FN had a mainly female workforce.

I have a FN-Browning Model 1900 .32 pistol in as good a condition as I have ever seen, which, from the SN, dates from around 1910-1911. I had to wonder if it was one of those shown in the picture of the pistol production line. Aside from the ungainly ugliness of the Model 1900 it is a very sturdy and reliable pistol, and was very popular, with about 750,000 made by FN. It was the official or unofficial sidearm of the armies of several European countries. And it was the very first of the blowback type, which fathered every blowback pistol made since.

I thought for a long time the Model 1900 was the pistol used by Gavrillo Princep in 1914 to assassinate Archduke Franz Ferdinand, starting WWI. But later investigation indicates that it was not the Model 1900 but the improved Model 1910, also a John Browning creation, used by Princep. The Model 1900 may also have been used by the Russian Prince Yusupov to kill Rasputin, the "Mad Monk," but the evidence for that is unclear. Some sources say it was a Nagant revolver.
81police

Post by 81police »

great link S and S HUNTCLUB! I zoomed in on the page you indicated, it's really hard to tell isn't it?! Too bad there wasn't a high-res version of that photo somewhere.

I've only ever come across 1 vintage photograph of an FN 1900, rifle #11XX from Fergus, Ontario in 1913. If y'all ever come across some I'd love to talk.
Attachments
Fergus, Ontario 1913 FN 1900.jpg
Fergus, Ontario 1913 FN 1900.jpg (219.99 KiB) Viewed 7447 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Thanks for the great post. OSHA would have a hayday in there with all the open belts and pulleys. I did not see one obese person in any of the pics. What would it look like today?

ROB
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hey guys, Thanks for kind words about the post. We ran across this link, while searching the net for some FN 1900's that may be for sale. We appreciate the photo that Cam posted with the gentleman posing with his FN 1900 and the two very nice bucks. Cam, If Jeff or I, ever come across additional vintage photos of the FN 1900's, we'll give you a shout. Thanks for posting the picture Cam! The gentleman in the picture seems to be a "well to do" type of guy, judging by his hunting attire.

Hopefully if all goes well this coming November deer season, we'll get a chance to take some pictures of a successful hunt with our FN's, 8's & 81's. It sure makes the time afield feel special, when your hunting with any of the three rifle's, regardless of the outcome of the hunt.

I myself, enjoy getting my rifle and gear together the night before opening morning in my tent. Then, waking to a fresh opening morning snowfall (if we're lucky) and then spending opening morning in the stand. I can't sit for long periods, so I enjoy traveling the woods, ridgelines and swamps, trying to get the deer moving towards my brothers, my Dad and my nephews. Deer camp is always a "memory making time" for us and if all goes well, we'll have some bucks hanging and some good pictures from the trip!

Who knows... 80 years from now, there may be folks posting pictures of the "greatmodel8" guys!

Get out and enjoy life with your rifles folks... you're only here once, so you better make it count!

Enjoy Life, Bob & Jeff @ S and S HUNTCLUB
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Looking forward to your "vintage" pictures... after your hunt.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine