Shipping is important when buying online

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
ROBOPUMP

Shipping is important when buying online

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I purchased this item a few weeks ago and the dealer shipped via FedEx.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =332171060
As you can see the purchase price was $1000.00 and shipping was $31.00.
The rifle was received with a nice chunk of wood and butt plate missing out of the tow of the butt stock. I was able to convince FedEx that the butt stock was serial numbered to a 103 year old rifle and that the value had been reduced to about 50% of what I had paid for it. Long story short, FedEx sent me a check for $518.30 within two weeks of filing the claim. The dealer was very helpful and never left me on my own in filing the claim. I have dealt with UPS before on damages and they send you to an insurance company and you will never get $ for damages in shipping. My check was direct from FedEx with no other parties involved. My advise is that if you buy on the net or if the item has to be shipped to you, demand that it be shipped FedEx insured. You will like that if anything comes in damaged. I had the same thing happen with a model 11 that was shipped via USPS and did get payment for damages, but it took forever. Demand FedEx insured.

Just a heads up.

ROB
imfuncity

Re: Shipping is important when buying online

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks - good to know. (I've had some shipped from all, but never had a claim.)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Rob, bummer about your new rifle but glad for you on the settlement.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

A few years I sold a rifle and shipped it by FedEx ground. They pretty well destroyed it, and the consignee would not accept it, so it was returned to me. Sort of. It got lost in the FedEx system on the way back and it took weeks and endless phone calls to find it. But they did pay for repairs when I did get it. I came to the conclusion that they like to drive fork lifts over any package that looks like it might contain a gun.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Rob,
I am sorry to read about the damage to your fine .25 Model 8. What a shame. I also thank you for providing us the link to the original auction and photos. You have a very cherry looking rifle in you hands, and I am sure you will be able to get the gun looking as good as new once again. Please upload pics in the future to share of this great specimen.

On another note, your post got me to thinking about .25 Remington handloads - so off I went to some ballistics websites!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Gents,

I've a suggestion. Our ladies can be shipped in a package less than 25" long. If they are well wrapped in bubble wrap. It could help disguise the profile from ill wishers. My Tattooed Lady arrived in a plastic hard case (full length) just fine. However, it's a shame you can't charge the insurance for damage to the packing, the case was way worse for wear. They'd even managed to almost wear one of the tywraps into. My 'Smith makes heavy-wall PVC pipe cases; I saw one the 1/4" thick 4" dia pipe cap was split like a dropped melon. :shock:
There are evil people out there :twisted:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

I agree with 'Phyrbird',there are some evil folks that may handle your package. I am accused of being anal when it comes to packing items for shipment. I believe it better to pay more for the packaging, even if it is overkill, than pay for insurance that may or may not come through. My other collecting passion is antique radios. Shipping of these heavy,fragile items takes more than believing the USPS ads "that if it fits it ships". The double boxing with plenty of support and cushion that is required is also a good way to go with firearms.
After receiving a couple expensive bakelite radios years back that had been destroyed in shipping I made it a goal to try to prevent it happening again. First item is to have good communication with the seller/shipper.You should ask for a phone number and talk with them personally before they ship the item.Find out what their experience is and how they plan to pack the item. I suspect in most cases of damaged in transit goods the shipper was uneducated as to proper packing techniques. The item should be packed to survive being thrown across the room at least. Rather than get by with the cheapest packing, offer to the seller to pay for any extra expense to have it done right. A good rule with firearms is to disquise the package as much as possible so that the curious and 'evil' along the way won`t have an interest in it. If the arm doesn`t lend itself to being broken down like our 8`s and 81`s then use a larger box to conceal that a firearm is inside. Using a plastic long gun case encased in a like sized box is a dead giveaway of what the package contains. I try to make it look like it has a vacuum cleaner inside.When's the last time somebody stole a vacuum cleaner in shipment? Bending of the package causes the breaks in stocks that were described with the .25. Use a board or pieces of plywood to stiifen the package. More weight,bigger package and more expense,but worth it in the long run.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

+1 Sarge. Believe ever break-down gun I've ever ship has indeed been broke-down, try to make everything look bland... like anything but a gun.

Have also been very lucky in what I've received, many times been very inadequately packed - gotta start talking to the shippers about how they pack.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine