Picking up an FN today

lx450landcruiser

Picking up an FN today

Post by lx450landcruiser »

Well I'm new to the fourm and must say this site is amazing. So helpful.

I'll be sure to post pics when I get it this afternoon. On a side note is there any more information on the rife pictured at the top of the web site? Looks to be in really nice conditon but I dont see much about it?

Cheers
Mike
lx450landcruiser

Re: Picking up an FN today

IMG_1205.jpg
IMG_1205.jpg (40.58 KiB) Viewed 18021 times
Well Fellas, I think I might have stmbled upon something great!

It appears to be an early unfired/barly fired FN 1900 The checkering in the wood is still sharp!! Blueing is perfect and its number 51
IMG_1204.jpg
IMG_1204.jpg (51.66 KiB) Viewed 18021 times
IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1202.jpg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 18021 times
lx450landcruiser

IMG_1209.jpg
IMG_1209.jpg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 18021 times
IMG_1207.jpg
IMG_1207.jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 18021 times
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 18021 times
81police

Post by 81police »

Great FN Mike, and a two digit serial number too! Congrats on a rare find.

The Model 8 used in our banner is a #3 Special, also known as a "C" grade. The cool thing about this particular rifle is that the checkering is unlike most other C's, it's pattern is more elaborate similar to "D" grades. I can't remember with certainty but I think it was mfg. in 1914.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Nice FN, and not really wanting to toss the proverbial turd in the punch bowl. I am thinking it's been refinished. I also do not believe FN's had the hole in the back of the receiver to accept tang sights.... someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have been wrong before. :roll:
lx450landcruiser

rem81auto wrote:Nice FN, and not really wanting to toss the proverbial turd in the punch bowl. I am thinking it's been refinished. I also do not believe FN's had the hole in the back of the receiver to accept tang sights.... someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have been wrong before. :roll:

From my quick searching here I think your right about the tang site. How would I know if its been refinished?

Cheers
Mike
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Mike, you have pics before some of the most knowledgeable FN collector's anywhere ... all we have to do is hope they view this topic and are willing to give an opinion. Dennis
lx450landcruiser

few more if it helps
IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 17997 times
IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg (31.91 KiB) Viewed 17997 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Refinished or not, fine looking FN - I'm officially jealous. Oh, and welcome to the forum. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ranman

Post by ranman »

beautiful, just plain beautiful. Thats about sums up these autoloaders. I would love to have that hanging on my wall. I cant tell from the pics if its a reblue or not. Have a look at the screw heads for crisp slots as sometimes they get polished to much. Very nice :mrgreen:
lx450landcruiser

Thanks for your input guy. Im still amazed at the fit, finish and over all quality of this gun. all the tollerences are just so tight and the weight is nice too. I know the Reminton 8s were techinally a less expenisve gun at the time but would I expect to see the same quality at least mechanically as this FN? I guess Im asking was the price difference due to the wood checkering ect... or does the quaily decrease in the manufacturing?

Heres a few more of the screw heads.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (129.68 KiB) Viewed 17944 times
image[2].jpeg
image[2].jpeg (94.25 KiB) Viewed 17944 times
image[1].jpeg
image[1].jpeg (112.88 KiB) Viewed 17944 times
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

I agree with the previous comment that the FN has been refinished. If you look closely at the last picture you can see the polishing marks that are indicative of a re-blue. That being said, the re-blue has been done very well.

To me, another tell tale indicator of a refinish of the wood is to look closely at the meeting of the wood to the metal. It appears to me that there are some old oil stains which are fairly common with any of these old rifles. If the wood was all original these characteristics would be more easily seen. Again, the refinish and the re-checkering has been done in a very professional manner and the results are outstanding.

Should you ever get the urge to sell the FN, please contact me. I would love to add it to the stable. I am trying to get a "dirty dozen" as sighthound calls them.

Regards,

jack1653
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Landcruiser,

Great FN 1900 you've scored. Is she a shooter or a wall-hanger? I know that gun nuts are opinionated on this subject, especially when we talk about guns in such fine condition (refinished or not) that were made in low production numbers.

Somewhat OT (off-topic) when I was big into Mauser's and German weapons of WW2 I got ahold of an April '45 manufactured Walther Kar43. She was an all-numbers-matching beauty....even acquired a non-matching but original late-war ddx Voigtlander scope setup with it. I proceeded to strip the gun down to the last machine screw, thoroughly document with photos, and reassemble.
In the process, I decided that the gun was just too good for me to use as a shooter, and ultimately she didn't last very long with me until I sold her off a few years later. Yes, I should have kept her, but I am a schoolteacher and it was a bit difficult justifying my purchase in the first place. My wife (also a schoolteacher) and I wanted to go to Germany for a long summer vacation in 2005, so I sold the rifle to help fund the tour. Best gun swap ever, IMHO!

That's when I decided to limit my gun focus to only guns I knew I wouldn't feel guilty about blasting with on the range, or in the woods. I love project guns, that's become my focus.

So, Toyotadude, or Landcruiser 450, (wish I knew your human name), let us know what you do with your awesome 1900!

(by the way, I did take my ac45 Kar43 out to shoot before I sold it. Nice gun, like a German Garand, but with a 10-round removable clip)

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
keltg

Post by keltg »

beautiful looking rifle.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Wow! This really is a very nice FN 1900. The pictures just do not do this rifle any justice. We are very pleased to have been able to add this rifle to our collection. It will most definitely be a cherished hunting rifle, for many years to come! The rifle will be enjoyed afield (as they should be) & it will be "put back into action" during our 2013 Michigan Whitetail Deer opener, on November 15th this coming fall, at our deer camp in northern Michigan. We really appreciate the opportunity to give this fine rifle a new home! Any day spent hunting with a vintage "two digit" FN 1900, is an extremely good day. It will surely be apart of many new hunting memories, with family & friends! Many Thanks! Enjoy Life, S and S HUNTCLUB
81police

Post by 81police »

if that FN is with S&S Hunt Club, then it found a good home :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Thanks Cam! We are really looking forward to hunting with this FN 1900. If everything goes well, she'll drop a nice Whitetail buck on opening morning this coming fall. We have not given this old sweetheart a name yet, but we're working on trying to come up something that fits. Enjoy Life, S and S HUNTCLUB
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Very NIce :!: :!:

May I suggest Cheri', Not Shari. It seems to fit the European Mystique.
After all she goes past pretty to innocent beauty.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Big Dooley

Post by Big Dooley »

That is a great looking rifle! I may have missed it in the thread but what caliber is it? Thanks!
[b]Big Dooley[/b]
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

BD,
All FN'S are 9 m/m or as we know it 35 Rem.
Big Dooley

Post by Big Dooley »

Thanks for the insight. I haven't studied the FN versions much but probably will now.
[b]Big Dooley[/b]
81police

Post by 81police »

in that case Big Dooley this article is a must read,

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... ge_id=1562
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Big Dooley

Post by Big Dooley »

Thanks Cam, as soon as I saw your reply about the caliber, I went to the FN 1900 section on the forum and enjoyed reading all about them. Now I need an FN to go along with my Model 8!
[b]Big Dooley[/b]