5 school days left - not that I'm counting UPDATE

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

5 school days left - not that I'm counting UPDATE

Post by Adam Lee »

****FINAL UPDATE****5 DAYS COUNTDOWN*****

I find it amusing that even pushing 50 (just turned 49, thank you!) my mind is just like a kid's and I can't help but count the days until summer vacation.
5 days according to my count, in the school district I work for. Some days, it's like a bad dream - when is this crazy year going to end?

I wanted to make one comment about this mental state before I fall into a pattern of whining. Yesterday (Thursday) I had something happen that gave me a rare "good feeling" about the job I do herding the cats and making the sixth grade donuts. This is NOT a "brag" but just something that I rarely get these days in the action-packed political football of early childhood public education.

Part of a professional development opportunity I took advantage of at the beginning of this school year includes consultation, collaboration, and paid sub days so I can get more ideas and training in various components of academic instruction. The collaborator/mentor I have been teaming up with is a retired veteran teacher and former administrator with very similar opinions and expectations of teaching. Also, she agrees that the level of bureaucratic red tape nonsense is insane, and that the SOL's impact of round-the-clock testing are killing effective teachers, but that's another story.

Anyway, she popped in (like she does, when I ask for observation time or planning time) just to act as a "second set" of hands in my classroom during three periods yesterday morning. To me, it was the usual ugly chaos that I have come to expect with my kiddos. You know, the levels of nonsense that kids put out there that interfere with a planned lesson, etc. etc. I was glad Barbara was there to observe and interact with my students, since one of my goals is to get feedback on ways to adapt my instruction to meet the needs of these very needy 12 year olds.

Afterwards, when the students left for Music and PE, she gave me the greatest "high five" that I have not heard in some time. She asked if I would be willing to have another 6th grade teacher come in to observe my teaching! I get so stuck on myself NOT doing as good a job as I could have, that I never really know what my instruction is really like. Well, the kids know, but no adults usually! So, I was just glad to hear from someone else that "I still got it"!!

OK, that's it!
Adam
Last edited by Adam Lee on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
keltg

Re: 44 school days left - not that I'm counting

Post by keltg »

told you we need more teachers like yourself.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
Just a note of encouragement. I've been in the education industry for the last 10 years, after 20 years of maintenance and reliability in Heavy industry. I've felt your pain in dealing with the students in Junior and Senior high environment. SHARP kids, cool technical training hardware, :ugeek: some teach themselves cutting edge technologies. Then the other side, students disrupting class :roll: to avoid learning, enough meaningless documentation to swamp a papermill, bureaucrats :( that never could teach running the show.
For some weird reason, we've a calling. Do our best to generate that look in the kid's eye, that spark, that open mouth of surprise. It says " I GOT IT :idea: :!: "
Keep the faith Oh Grand and Mighty Teacher!! I can never forget Mrs. Jordan 2nd grade teacher. She actually forced me to learn.
They will never forget you, even long after you and I are gone.
Phyrbird
SOKY
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed, another HIGH FIVE at ya! Thanks for sharing (and does Sat and Sun count in your 44 days to go? :D )
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks for the positive thoughts, guys. I hope it didn't come off as bragging too much, I was just pleasantly surprised to get positive feedback from a coworker - it doesn't really happen. Usually, we teachers/administrators are all so wrapped up in the daily school "combat" we never take the time to notice each other's "teacher powers"!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

32 days left.

Each seems an hour longer the closer I get to summer vacation!
Adam Lee

Re: 32 school days left - not that I'm counting

Post by Adam Lee »

32 days and counting, not including weekends or the Memorial Day monday holiday.

Just wanted to clear that up. Not that I'm real serious about the countdown, but I kinda feel like what an astronaut in the Apollo moon mission days must have felt like in excitement level. Waiting for them to light the candle, and get the show on the road!

Of course, for my situation, that means freedom to engage in various hobby pursuits - and honey-do lists!

Adam
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Well Honey, your to-do is still here looking for a box but take heart it will be on it's way soon. :P
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

imfuncity wrote:Well Honey, your to-do is still here looking for a box but take heart it will be on it's way soon. :P
Thanks for the tease! :mrgreen: If your goal is to temporarily distract me from the nonsense going on at work these days, you have succeeded! Right when I was bumming out on the Monday afternoon drudgery/mandatory SOL training meeting I am "looking forward to" today, you gave me a glimmer of hope.

OK, that sounds pretty dramatic, yet ironically true! For the next 4 weeks, everything at school revolves around the year-end mandatory state testing for all students 3rd-6th grade. Un-fun.

Adam
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I suppose I should be PC and/or ask what you think of all the school testing, etc. but... ain't gonna happen. I also ought to apologize for being a bit (as in way-off) topic but not gonna happen either. :shock:

We have two kids that we home schooled from day one 'til college, both graduated from college with honors, both now have their Masters. If we had put them into the school-system, likely one would now be a JD or just "clerking" at the 7-11 - basically a functional illiterate, whilest the other would have done well in the education-industry. Home schooling was a total commitment (not just a choice), a lot of work, and very expensive but very worth it. OK said it. Done. :twisted:

Glad I could put a bright spot in your day. We've got a very unusual May rainy day (we usually stop early April) and since I'm such tender, sweet soul I'll stay inside, besides don't want to mess up my new-do. Might 'bout as well go back to bed today. :roll:
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Mitch, it is fine to ask my opinion of the federally-mandated bull-crap I mean standardized testing.

I admire any parent who has the time, resources, and care to educate his or her own child in the way they think bests supports their kid's needs.

In the "old days", like when I was a kid, many of us had a balanced education by virtue of the common culture of that point in time. "Back then", our parents spent time with us, guided us to learn things necessary to survive in the real world, and generally took a very active role in our lives. They were appreciative of the education we received from (mostly) great teachers, and did not question a teacher's authority to hold us kids accountable for our actions.

By the way, as a teacher in elementary school who has taught K/2/3/4/6th classrooms, I can tell you it is 100% opposite from what it was like in the old days. Parents hold teachers accountable for their kids achievement and behavior, parents are entitled to yank the teacher's chain, you talk about a huge culture shift from the old days.

No wonder we have so many problems in the large metro areas - too many people without common sense are bossing the people who already do their job very well.

How is it someone without teaching experience can make decisions on education policy is beyond me, but unfortunately that is how things are, and always will be in our country.

Adam
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed - Adam. Couldn't agree more.
Adam Lee

Re: 27 school days left - not that I'm counting

Post by Adam Lee »

UPDATE:

27 days!

Also, gun hobby updates:

1. Carl is helping me locate an original barrel jacket sight. Thanks Carl! Yours is en route!
2. Jeff (S&S Hunt Club) helped me find a replacement magazine spring. Thanks Jeff!
3. Mitch and I are working something out so that I will end up with another John Moses Browning design, I think we are both going to really be pleased with the trade. I know I've been plugging away at refinishing the Dragoon as I find the time. Thanks Mitch!
4. My Jefferson-era flintlock has been getting some love lately, when time permits, and my dad is helping me locate replacement lock and action screws for this fine old fowler. Thanks Dad!

OK, that's it. Rainy day means great time for doing household chores. We'll try and get out with the dog for a long mountain hike tomorrow.

Take care!
Adam
Phyrbird

Re: 27 school days left - not that I'm counting UPDATE

Post by Phyrbird »

Ladies and Gents,

Adam is nice to work with, he does what he says and when he says he will. Help him all we can.
Thank you Sir.

CWS
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Re: 27 school days left - not that I'm counting UPDATE

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks for the kind words, Carl. Right back at ya!

By the way, yesterday was my first of 3 days of SOL testing. Not sure what they call the state-mandated tests in yall's neck of the woods, but they are all the same. A great waste of time for teachers and students!

OK, they have marginal value. However, too much emphasis is placed on them, etc.

Basically my students survived the almost 3-hour endurance festival to complete their Reading Assessments. 12:30-3:20 was the time it took for every kid to be done. My kids are farmed out to 4 different locations based on need or accommodation. The bulk stay with me, about 12 kids. 8 were out in small groups.

OK, next Tuesday and Thursday are US History to 1877, then Math. Can't wait!

Adam
Adam Lee

Re: 17 school days left - not that I'm counting UPDATE

Post by Adam Lee »

Alright!
17 student days left in the school year - Praise Be!

2 of the tests down, last one is Friday - moved from Thursday. Admin decided kids needed more time for the final test, ours is Math, so we offer an all-day testing window Friday. I don't care, let's just wrap this movie up!

Adam
Adam Lee

Re: 5 school days left - not that I'm counting FINAL UPDATE

Post by Adam Lee »

****FINAL NEWS FLASH****5 DAYS TO GO****

Today (Wednesday the 12th), tomorrow, Friday....then next Monday and finally...Tuesday for a half-day/early student release....and it's all over for 10 weeks!

Adam