Model 81 pre-drilled, 4 holes?

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
milspecmechanic

Model 81 pre-drilled, 4 holes?

Post by milspecmechanic »

Hey guys. I just got my first remington model 81 in .300 savage and I would like to shoot it with a scope since it is already drilled and tapped for a mount. I've looked online....everywhere i knew.. trying to find the williams sm and sm-krag etc because i thought it might fit, but it isn't looking like it will. The holes on my rifle are spaced approx .965 apart and there are 4 of them. Does anyone know what mount this will accept and where i could find one??? Thanks!!!!!!
Attachments
111111.JPG
111111.JPG (56.61 KiB) Viewed 12341 times
gcro3948

Re: Model 81 pre-drilled, 4 holes?

Post by gcro3948 »

Weaver side mount for top ejection guns . The rings are seperate from the mount and are also removeable . gcro3948
81police

Post by 81police »

milspecmechanic,

The Weaver #4 side mount has holes spaced like below. I would have guessed the Williams SM too.
Attachments
rem81-3.jpg
rem81-3.jpg (22.85 KiB) Viewed 12313 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

this of course is the Williams SM as you probably already know,
Attachments
DSC03635.JPG
DSC03635.JPG (114.39 KiB) Viewed 12313 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
gcro3948

Post by gcro3948 »

Milspecmechanic, Sorry for the incorect information. 81 Police, Thank you for imput. gcro3948
milspecmechanic

i need that exact williams SM. Others i've seen only have 3 screw holes but claim to be the same name. Does anyone know where i can find one of these??
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I eventually found one on fleaBay, just gotta have patience... they are around.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
milspecmechanic

81police wrote:this of course is the Williams SM as you probably already know,
WOOHOO!!! I found this exact same mount!

now..... i need more help. I need to find 4 screws that'll fit. How do i go about this? Do you know what size yours are?
81police

Post by 81police »

I have no idea, you might have to do some trial & error. S&S Hunt Club may know.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hello milspecmechanic, The Instructions for the Installation of a Williams Quick Convertible Scope Mount are as follows:

On 8-81 Remington Autos- Tap size is 8-40 and the drill size 29 to give as much thread as possible. Clamp base to the left side of the receiver as far forward as possible. Level base both lengthwise and across the top. An angle vise is best for holding the receiver. Turn the receiver to 78 1/2 degrees. Drill with No. 29 drill, then use a tap in the chuck of the drill press. This assures tapping at the proper angle. After zeroing the scope, lock the thumb nut bushings by means of the 6-48 large head screws on the underside of the mount. These two screws, hold the thumb nut bushings tight.

We have roughly 70-75 Vintage "New Old Stock" Williams Quick Convertible Scope Mounts in our inventory. Some are "Side Mount" and some are "Top Mounts, for various Vintage firearms. We'll check our inventory, as we are pretty confident, that they're "Extra / New Old Stock" mounting screws. We do not have any SM-81 mounts left!

We also have a Model 81 receiver that has been drilled and tapped for the Williams SM-81 side mount. We will verify that we have the correct FOUR screws for you. Just a quick note: Once the SM-81 mount is attached to your receiver, you will have to grind off the protruding tip of the screws inside of the receiver, to match the "curve/contour" of the receiver.

You can contact us through one of our auctions on the gunbroker sight, under Remington Model 8 81, as we are not real familiar, with exactly how to navigate this site.

We hope you find the information helpful! Enjoy Life, S and S HUNTCLUB
S and S HUNTCLUB

The correct type of Williams Side Mount Screws needed for the Williams ( SM 81 ) side mount scope base, are the same screws used in the Williams ( SM 760 ) side scope mount. Turns out, that we do not have additional mounting screws for the SM-81 mount. You can check out auction listing number 334770524 on http://www.gunbroker.com, and view the correct screws that you need for your SM-81 mount. We do not know the seller on this auction, but the screws appear to be new in the package. The auction is for a SM-760 side scope mount, for the Remington Model 760 pump-action rifle. The screws will work for your SM-81 mount. Hope this helps you out! Enjoy Life, S and S HUNTCLUB
milspecmechanic

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Can you visually tell a difference between the SM 81 and the 760?

Can you tell which williams mount this is?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140943732779?ss ... 1426.l2649
S and S HUNTCLUB

Hello, To answer your question... "Yes", you can tell the difference between the two mounts. The SM-81 mount for the Model 8 and Model 81, will have a "curve" to the back side of the mount and/or mating surface, where the mount mates to the receiver. The SM-760 has a flat back, which mates with the flat sided Remington Model 760 receiver, where as the SM 81 mount will have the curve, which mates with the curve of the receiver, on the Remington Model 8's & 81's.

The ebay mount that you mentioned, appears to be the earlier type SM 81, for the Remington Model 81 or the Model 8. I believe "81 Police" posted some pictures of the same mount, but with the 1" Williams Split Rings.

You can take a look at a recent auction listing that we sold and compare the ebay listing, to the SM 81 mount that we recently sold. Check it out! They appear to be the same mount.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =326414607

It is very hard to see any "markings and/or the 81 stamping" on the ebay listing, but when you compare the two auctions, It would be our guess (But it is 5 o'clock our time, if you know what we mean?) , that the ebay listing is indeed a mount for the Remington Model 8 or 81. It appears to have the 7/8" Williams scope rings.

These are very hard to find! Good luck! Enjoy Life, S and S HUNTCLUB