Sling question.

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Rev.Jeff

Sling question.

Post by Rev.Jeff »

My old Model 8 has the sling loop on the front (of course) but none on the rear nor any sign that there ever was one there. As a result I have never used a sling with this rifle though I would like to for the practicality of it while hunting. Were these designed to have the sling looped around the straight stock?
81police

Re: Sling question.

Post by 81police »

Rev., if you are referring to the loop in the middle of the forearm that is not a sling swivel but the forearm scew head. Using it as such can break it as it was not designed for that purpose; only to remove the forearm.

Sling swivels for these rifles almost always, even from the factory, included utilizing the sling swivel hole in the barrel jacket just forward of the forearm. This hole was not regularly tapped from the factory until October 1920 so your model 8 may not have it. The stock must be drilled for the rear swivel. I have heard of modern slip on leather pads with sling swivels but you'll have to research that one. Hope this info helps!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rev.Jeff

Post by Rev.Jeff »

It does help 81Police and thank you!

BTW, your member name caught my attention. I know it's likely related to the Model 81 but MANY years ago I served in the 81st Security Police Squadron overseas and so 81Police stood out to me.

Thanks again for the information.

Rev. Jeff
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

I picked up a couple of 'shotgun slings' for my Model 8 and Model 11 12 gauge. They slip on so you don't have to drill holes for swivels or anything like that. They work pretty well.

My only complaint, a very minor one, is that the rear loop rides on the stock where you grip it. It feels a little weird, but you get used to it. They're padded, so they won't mar the surface of your stock either.

Here's a link:

http://theconsumerlink.com/butlercreek/ ... 2680-1/101
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

http://www.outdoorconnectiononline.com/ ... prod=BB-13

The brown bad sling is cheap and easy, too. I have used it on my 1895 Winchester. Would work on the model 8, too.
War Eagle!