.35 Remington: Failure to unlock or extract.

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
hembrook

.35 Remington: Failure to unlock or extract.

Post by hembrook »

Howdy.

I took my Model 8 to the range yesterday.

The rifle was clean and looked to be in great condition. Cycling it w/o shells worked great.

So I checked the barrel, it looked fine.

At the range, I loaded up a clip of 5 Hornady FTX loads. It shot all 5 well, but I was having trouble verifying point of impact at 100m.

So I loaded 5 more and fired them offhand at the 25m bull. 3 good strikes to point of aim.

On the third shot, the rifle froze. The bolt is half-way open, still coupled to the barrel. The bolt/barrel will neither move forward or back.

The bolt/barrel was on the rearward stroke, so there is no live cartridge in the chamber. Just to confirm I checked this with a cleaning rod.

If I take the forend off and try to remove the barrel casing, the casing moves freely over the barrel a couple inches and then stops. So the barrel is not wedged in the casing.

The bolt, however is wedged firmly in the receiver. It will slide neither forward nor back. It is not fully back, where it is caught on the bolt carrier catch nor fully forward. The handle is 1/2 way back in its slot (over the safety) firmly coupled to the barrel.

So what do I do now?

My first thought would be to pull the buttstock and the trigger plate and see if something wedged the bolt in place.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
Phyrbird

Re: .35 Remington: Failure to unlock or extract.

Post by Phyrbird »

This is knarly, I suggest a pro gunsmith. You still have live rounds in the magazine, right?
Use caution push/pulling on the bolt handle I've seen some that are broke in the groove in the bolt carrier. This is most likely from allowing the bolt to slam forward with the barrel removed. However it does happen.

Good luck :)
Phyrbird
SOKY
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I think you are right on with removing the butt stock and trigger plate. The live shells should remain in the magazine when you remove the trigger plate and magazine. Should be really low risk of danger. I am thinking that possibly one of the little leaf spring has broken and wedged between the breach bolt carrier and the receiver. I don't see how a broken link could do this. Is the magazine indicator thumb piece locked up also?

It will be interesting to learn what you find to be the problem.

ROB
Roger

Post by Roger »

Welcome aboard. I'm sorry you've got function issues. These rifles are generally fairly bulletproof. However it does sound like you have some part broken inside the receiver. Somebody mentioned the link. I tend to agree that it shouldn't cause this problem,but what about the plg on the end of the recoil spring. I can't remember the real name of that plug,but if it broke ,then it might jamb up that action like you are describing. Also, I once saw a m-8 in 35 rem. That had a welding repair between the barrel jacket and jacket extension that was poorly done . It also wasn't straight,and it jambed on every shot. Check your barrel jacket for any or all obstructions to movement. None of these might be the case but you have to start eliminating stuff somewhere! Good luck! Keep us informed here on the forum.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
hembrook

Post by hembrook »

ROBOPUMP wrote:I think you are right on with removing the butt stock and trigger plate. The live shells should remain in the magazine when you remove the trigger plate and magazine. Should be really low risk of danger.
That is what I am thinking, which is why I measured the barrel to be sure. I can't conceive of a live round getting in there at the moment. But there are 2 in the magazine
ROBOPUMP wrote: I am thinking that possibly one of the little leaf spring has broken and wedged between the breach bolt carrier and the receiver. I don't see how a broken link could do this. Is the magazine indicator thumb piece locked up also?
No, the bolt release/magazine indicator moves freely.
ROBOPUMP wrote:
It will be interesting to learn what you find to be the problem.

ROB
Yeah, my plan is to go slowly.