Firing pin spring questions?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Frost30

Firing pin spring questions?

Post by Frost30 »

Hello,

I just joined the site, and wanted to ask some questions about firing pin springs?

I have been reading the posts on slam fires that another member had posted earlier before, because I did have this happen to me once, and it was a hair raising experience to say the least! I still have all my fingers and toes, but it did take me by surprise. With that said here goes my questions.

I have a model 8 in .30Rem caliber and going by the serial number charts that are on the web page I believe it to be made sometime around 1910 the serial # is 193*1
after reading the other post on slam fires, one of the members had mentioned that some of the early models did not have a firing pin spring or a buffer spring, and I would like to know if any one knows at what time did Remington start using them in the assembly, of the model 8?

My gun has no firing pin spring or buffer spring, and I'm not sure if there ever was any?, but I'm trying to eliminate possibilities as to why the gun slam fired on me.

Or if this is something I will just have to be careful about when using the gun.

I did notice the firing pin is a little peened over on the end that comes in contact with the hammer, and I have corrected that.

Any way if someone could give me any guidance or thought as to the spring question I would be more than grateful.

Thanks
Wildgoose

Re: Firing pin spring questions?

Post by Wildgoose »

I had the same question on my first M8. It was an early production rifle, they do indeed not have a spring. You have already delt with the one issue that can be a danger that being peening on the firing pin base. If it has become peened it can stick with the pin in the forward position and cause discharge upon the bolt slamming home during loading. Sorry I cant help with when the changes were made to include the spring but some one here will most likely chime in with that information. ;)
Frost30

Post by Frost30 »

WG, Thanks for replying.

Is it possible to add the spring to the older style firing pin and bolt? or is the bolt made different on the newer style that uses the spring?

Or could I get a newer style firing pin and spring and use it in the old bolt?

Forgive me for the rookie questions. Its just that if I could make the gun a little safer, I would like to do so.

I'm so use to shooting shotguns that I'm use to letting the bolt close on its own when loading. That it becomes habit forming, which is not always a good thing when using firearms, I know but its just one of those things.

Again, any help is appreciated.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

I have the same question. I figured you might be able to retrofit a later spring into the firing pin assembly as is, on the older guns. Maybe someone will chime in. Mine is a 1908 without fp spring. I'd consider updating it if it doesn't take much to do. In other words, so long as I don't have to replace the bolt body or anything.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Sorry guys but I cant say as to fitting a spring to the older M8. I have left mine as is with out any issues and dont recall anyone one talking about adding a buffer or recoil spring to one. Maybe someone with knowledge on this may comment.
81police

Post by 81police »

I have never had a slam-fire issue with an early gun. My '08 carbine doesn't have either of the springs and runs fine. But if the back of your firing pin is mushroomed it needs to be replaced. There are variations in firing pins on Model 8's, those that came with springs had a seat on them for the firing pin spring to rest on, obviously this seat is absent from earlier firing pins which did not come with springs.

To quote Henwood on the firing pins,

"there are at least four different firing pins found in Model 8's. The earliest firing pin retaining pins were round, and the flat on the side of the firing pin was deeply cut to allow clearance. Later retaining pins were flat along half of one side, and the firing pin had a correspondingly shallow mating flat for it. This is known as the 1911 Series firing pin, and was in use for the remainder of production" (p.54)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

No slam fires here and I too just let them rip. Nor do I recall anyone ever posting have had such a problem. Think you'd be fine and safe using them just as JMB made them.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
penny39

Post by penny39 »

Hello all.

I recently was able to purchase my first Remington autoloading rifle after wanting one for many moons. I was able to afford one and went for it. It is in 35 Rem which I am familiar with in my Marlin 336. Turns out it is a 1906 and about half way through the year manufacture date too.

It is an original in many ways. Seemed like it had never been stripped and cleaned. Upon disassembly of the bolt I found a firing pin without a tip and no spring. I thought that was odd. So I have on order a new pin and spring. I also have a new mainspring coming since the old was broke on one side. I will hopefully be able to answer some questions about whether or not one can use a spring and pin in the early model 8(Remington autoloading rifle) bolt.

Well it fit just fine and works too.

I am also going to need a front sight.