Model 11 or Savage 720 magazine tube questions

Other great Remington rifles
Adam Lee

Model 11 or Savage 720 magazine tube questions

Post by Adam Lee »

Friends,

Any input on how the magazine tube can be removed safely from the Model 11 or Savage 720 shotgun is appreciated. I would like to have mine all apart, and can't tell exactly whether the mag tube is screwed-in or pressed-in. Ideas?

The receiver does have a small set screw that seems to have something to do with the tube, but I don't know for sure. The part is number 87, magazine stop screw, from Steve's website of gun schematics. It looks like the tube is threaded, but mine won't budge.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-11.html

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
sighthound

Re: Model 11 or Savage 720 magazine tube questions

Post by sighthound »

My ca 1948 Remington Arms Repair Manual says, "Remove magazine stop screw from right side of receiver at front end and unscrew magazine from receiver." Probably will take a long soak in solvent to loosen many years of dried oil.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

sighthound wrote:My ca 1948 Remington Arms Repair Manual says, "Remove magazine stop screw from right side of receiver at front end and unscrew magazine from receiver." Probably will take a long soak in solvent to loosen many years of dried oil.
thanks - just what I thought; and yes, mine won't budge. time for a LONG soaking!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

On the same line of thinking, since I know for sure these tubes are threaded into the receivers, how about a little heat from a propane torch to get things loosened? I have used flame heat to remove soldered-in-place rear sight bases and collars from Mosin Nagants and Mausers. Once they get hot, the solder melts, and I can slide the sight bases right off a barrel.

Just thinking that a bit of heat persuasion might be the ticket, in addition to a preliminary solvent soaking. Don't worry, I won't be lighting it up in a pool of PB Blaster!

Adam
keltg

Post by keltg »

i have used a propane torch in the past to help loosen tight threads. also tapping while warm with a non-marring hammer close to the threaded area helps the loosening.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Adam Lee....Other than you stating that you "wanted" to have it all apart I have to ask Why? You are correct that it is screwed in and has a set screw. I`ll refer you to the schematics available for the Auto 5 ,Rem 11`s ,Savage 720`s and advise you to take a look. The magazine tube is listed as a seperate part # from the receiver but it is not pictured seperate from it. In good old police jargon that is known as a "CLUE". If the tube is somehow damaged and can`t be put right other than replacement then removal would be warranted. Other than that my advise would be to leave it be. If you are bound and determined to see what makes it tick and are going the soaking route with PB blaster I`ll give you a tip on a cheaper and better penetrate to use for the soaking. 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Works better than anything on the market including Kroil, Liquid Wrench,PB or any of the others and did I say.... Cheap?
Don`t know what tools you are using that won`t make it budge but the one time I removed one to "replace it", many years ago, a receiver wrench and barrel vise got it done.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

FYI part of my desire to remove the tube is because I discovered it was bent at some time, and doesn't cycle shells properly.

Adam
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Well..........as the Great Oz told Dorothy,"That`s a horse of a different color". You didn`t mention a bent,dented tube causing cycling problems.If that is the case and you can`t straighten it without removing then do. I`ve not had an 11 or A5 with cycling problems caused by this but early on learned not to say "never " or "always" when talking guns. Did have a 870 with dent in magazine tube impeding the shells.The 870 tube is non-removable so fashioned a hardwood dowel of proper diameter to raise the dent. Few smacks with a hammer and it popped out. Lots more smacks with a punch from other end to get the dowel out.
Feeding or cycling problems on the 11`s and A5`s I`ve worked on usually find the shell stop or shell stop spring as the culprit. Another cause may be the brand of shotshells used. I have an 11 that loves Federal shells and Remington shells but balks at Winchesters.may have something to do with different brass base thickness or diameter.
Hope the info on the penetrate helps and you have success. Heating with a torch is ok if applied judiciously .If it doesn`t budge try heat and cold.Torch the receiver and freeze the tube with a can of freon or butane and try it again. Good luck.
Joe
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Like! Got the popcorn, feet up, waiting for the vid to start.... :P
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

imfuncity wrote:Like! Got the popcorn, feet up, waiting for the vid to start.... :P
OK Mitch - I get it, you are one of those guys that likes to hang out near street intersections in an ice storm and wait for accidents to happen! :roll:

Hey, if you think I'm going to light up my propane tickler torch in one hand, and push the "go" button on a can of refrigerant in the other simultaneously, you might see something interesting, I admit..... :mrgreen:

Yeah. Been there, done that - in high school or someplace.....or was it a rattle can of auto primer paint?

Mitch, I replied to your PM.

Adam
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Sarge756 wrote: Hope the info on the penetrate helps and you have success. Heating with a torch is ok if applied judiciously .If it doesn`t budge try heat and cold.Torch the receiver and freeze the tube with a can of freon or butane and try it again. Good luck.
Joe

OOOPS! As our friend Rush would explain......"For those of you in Rio Linda"............"heating with a torch is ok if done with CARE and not while involved with extraneous pursuits. If it doesn`t budge , heat the receiver,turn off the torch and apply cold to the tube with a suitable chilling agent,e.g. can of freon ,butane . If those are not handy,stick the tube in a bucket of ice for a few minutes and then heat the front of the receiver with a torch and give it another try.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Sarge756 wrote:
Sarge756 wrote:

OOOPS!
Joe,

no need for any disclaimer notice or warnings. you will not be subject to any lawsuits, my friend!

Now, if I was only a bit dumber than I actually am, I might have run on outside with a beer in one hand, my Mapp torch in the other, a can of R-12 jammed in my coat pocket (where the heck did the old can of R-12 come from, anyway?) and a lot of missing brain cells and hoped for the best.

Would those factors be considered extraneous? :lol:

If I had some time on the interwebs, I'm sure I could locate a dozen "epic fail" videos of folks doing just that.

Ahh, social Darwinism at its best!

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

I fixed the slight deformation in the magazine tube without removal, ultimately. What I did, was take some good advice from folks and try another approach - instead of removing the tube and fiddle with it off the receiver, I left it on, and worked the "wrinkle" out from inside.

Here's what I did: I surfed through my collection of 1/2 and 3/4 sockets until I found a perfect fit inside the tube. Then, I added two lengths of the longest socket extensions I could find, of course choosing one I had hammered on before on top, and hammered the socket into the tube until I gradually worked the "wrinkle" dented area smooth.

Worked fine!

And I got the bloody smashed finger to prove it worked, too!

Well, not that bloody - just a little cut, but after a while of fussing it appeared to be a bit more awesome of a wound than it really was. And the smash wasn't anything I don't always end up doing to myself in almost any mad hammering event. Yall know the drill - a day banging away on a gun/car/home project without a little blood is like a day without sunshine!

Adam
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Ah, yuppers. Know the drill! Now the tough part, getting ALL the body fluids off of the gun. :oops:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

The magazine tube and spring tube just came off today. Took more patience, heat from the torch, and a solidly-mounted bench vise. All came apart fine. Nothing and nobody got hurt!

OK, back to the fun stuff everyone does with their guns!

Adam

djglover7

Post by djglover7 »

Hello Forum,

I'm a little late to this thread but I do have an additional question.

Is there a way to remove the end plug on the magazine and leave the
tube in the receiver?

Dennis