The 8/81 CARBINE picture thread!!

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
81police

The 8/81 CARBINE picture thread!!

Post by 81police »

For all y'all that like shorties, this is the official picture thread for custom Model 8 or 81 carbines! If you got one or got pictures of one please post here!

You can't kick off the carbine thread without first showing off, the original, David "Carbine" Williams Model 8 carbine. This gun is no longer long recoil, barrel length is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10". Caliber is 35 Remington. Rifle currently resides at the North Carolina Museum of History. Many thanks to Eric Blevins, NC Museum Photographer.

A few "Verschneider" carbines, built by forum member 2pversters...

A Model 8 in 25Rem and a Model 81 in 300Sav, both with 17" barrels

An early Model 8 in 35Rem with 17" barrel.

Another early Model 8 in 35Rem with 17" barrel compared to an M1 Carbine.

A Model 81 in 35Rem with 15 round POE magazine. 17" barrel.

Another Model 81 in 35Rem with 15 round POE magazine & Thompson SMG foregrip. 17" barrel.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Re: The 8/81 CARBINE picture thread

Post by 81police »

Model 81 in 300Sav - 16" barrel

Model 8 in 35Rem - 16" barrel.

Model 8 in 35Rem - 20" barrel w/ custom Mannlicher style forearm
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Re: The 8/81 CARBINE picture thread

Post by 81police »

Model 8 in 30Rem with 14.5" barrel. * Note federal law requires any rifle with a barrel less than 16" be registered as a Class 3 SBR (short-barreled rifle).
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: The 8/81 CARBINE picture thread!!

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks, VERY cool thread.

I'm liking looking but I'm thinking I no-like shooting'm - 10" 35Rem, OUCH-city for sure!!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Love them shorties! I take mine everytime I go hunting. Hopefully this spring, I will get a hog or two with mine.
We need some sort of dispatched critter in a picture with one of these......making it my spring mission to do so...
Happy Shooting all

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
81police

Post by 81police »

Here's one from a guy online that dispatched a buck with his 16" Model 8 in 35Rem. Very cool!

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Cam,

I have a question. Do most short barrel/barrel jacket gunsmith jobs necessitate the relocation of the forearm mount lug? I am asking because it seems like the idea is to shorten the barrel at the muzzle and rethread; and shorten the jacket from the breech end after sweating it from the jacket's "base plate" whatever that is called.

In so doing, the original location of the forearm mounting lug is now much closer to the receiver.

Does this make sense?

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.