Mod. 81 FBI

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Kody

Mod. 81 FBI

Post by Kody »

This may have been covered before but I'm new to this forum....I would like info on the 81 Rem. purchased by the FBI during WW2. As far as I know they were standard issue .30R except for the sights(had a receiver sight) Serial number range and how many were made would be great but any info or comments....Thanks :?:
81police

Re: Mod. 81 FBI

Post by 81police »

Great questions Kody, we'll have to put together a post/page on the FBI issue 81. I know only from what I have read (in John Henwood's book) and have never seen one in person, only pictures, so my knowledge is limited. From what I have been told, any factory documentation that lists the serial numbers purchased by the FBI has not yet surfaced.

There were 2 types of FBI 81's.

The first type, which is the most obvious, differs mainly in that the "Remington" script and serial numbers were relocated below the "Woodsmaster MODEL 81" trade name. This kept the serial number from being covered by the factory installed Lyman 41-AT sight. John Henwood's book hints that the first type FBI rifle may have come with and without rear sight holes in the barrel jacket. Those with rear sight holes should have a Lyman 12 rear sight blank. A few other differences are the use of an extended and shouldered take down screw with a special lock washer, and a special height Remington front sight blade.

The second type rifle had standard Model 81 receiver markings, the clustered trade name and serial number was done away with as was the Lyman 41 receiver sight. A standard rear sight was used. I'm sure it's possible that the special height Remington front sight blade might have been used up on later type rifles until supply was out. I say this because a friend has a Model 81 in .30, a DNN date code (Sept. 1944...only 114 made that year), an extended take down screw with lock washer, special height Remington front blade and standard 81 receiver markings. Is his rifle an FBI rifle? Until serial numbers are known then there's no way to prove it. I'll see about posting a picture of the special front sight later.

I'm sure there are other members here with more info and perhaps pictures. Hope this helps some.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Kody

Post by Kody »

Great infomation......Thanks
Kody

Post by Kody »

Just picked it up and a few pics......
Attachments
81_Remington_FBI_003.jpg
81_Remington_FBI_003.jpg (110.94 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
81_Remington_FBI_002.jpg
81_Remington_FBI_002.jpg (54.59 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
81_Remington_FBI_001.jpg
81_Remington_FBI_001.jpg (105.84 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
81police

Post by 81police »

Awesome rifle Kody! You definitely have the real deal there. I'd hang on to it, that's a real beauty and highly collectible. Your rifle appears to have a barrel jacket without rear sight holes too.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to talk with you about your rifle so that I may gather some more information for an FBI page on this website. With your permission I'd like to use one of your pictures. I sent you a PM, I'd appreciate you calling me. Great find, thanks for sharing!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Kody,

What a great looking rifle. I am sure you are proud of it. I read about the FBI model in Henwood's book but it left me with more questions than answers. I will be anxious to see what you and 81police can put together on this rifle. It would be nice to know if there are other FBI issued rifles out there. I would spend some time looking for one if I thought the effort would produce any results.

I have the feeling that the FBI seris may be like the police rifles: out there but hard to come by. What do you think?

I'll be looking forward to the page on this subject.

jack1653