FN Bushing Handle *UPDATE*

jack1653

FN Bushing Handle *UPDATE*

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

Bad news on getting the FN pins and bushing caps. :shock: The guy has had the parts since June and I had checked several time on the status. I went by the shop on Friday to inquire again and I was given the parts back and an apology. :x He said he couldn't work it in to the schedule. It wasn't like I was asking for a freebe and was willling to pay to get the parts made.

I have made email contact with another individual and I am to send pictures and measurements to see if he can make the parts. If he feels he can do the pieces, I will mail them to him to get started.

I am disappointed that I was able to get the pieces that I had said I could get. :( :( Be patient with me and I will still to find another source to get the pieces made for those that need them. ;)

Regards,

jack1653
canuck

Re: FN Bushing Handle

Post by canuck »

Thats too bad Jack, nice of the guy to string you along like that :roll:

If you would like, I could check with some of the contacts I have here in Canada to see if its a project they could do.

I believe you have my email address if you would like to forward the drawings/measurements you have I could check for initial interest. If I find someone willing to take it on, I have the parts available here to supply as an example.
Let me know!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I have an update on these parts. The good news is that I have found another gunsmith who said he would make the parts for me. I have given a gunsmith a complete original set out of one of my FN's and was told that there would be no difficulty in reproducing exact replicas. The bad news is that they are going to be more costly than my previous estimates. I have made a commitment to get 10 sets of the parts which include the bushing cap, the pin and the spring. The parts are to be blued and the expected delivery is SUPPOSE to be within 60 days. I will not know the final cost until the job is completed. I have been given an estimate of $100 per set. I have also ordered one charging bolt to replace the modified model 8 that some bubba had used in the FN. The cost for the bolt is very expensive and I have only ordered one. If anybody needs one of these, please let me know and I will send you the name of the gunsmith.

If any of you are still interested, please reply to this thread and I will contact you to get confirmation. I personally need 5 sets and based on previous comments from interested parties, I have placed an order for 5 additional sets. If I have not heard from anybody within the next two weeks, I will reduce the number of sets to 5.

I have upgraded my computer so I do not have old emails to refer to get names of those who had expressed an interest. I do know that "canuck", "S and S Huntclub" and "81police" expressed an interest but I do not recall how many were requested.

Regards,

jack1653
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hello Jack, Just checking in and letting you know, that we are interested in "one" FN Bushing Handle. We certainly appreciate your efforts, regarding having these very hard to find parts reproduced and available for those of us whom are in need. Thank you Jack! Enjoy Life, S and S HUNTCLUB
canuck

Post by canuck »

Oops, sorry Jack - haven't been on line in a while :oops:

I'm still in for two sets if its not too late, and thanks again for your efforts!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

There is still hope for the parts for the FN. :o :shock: :lol: I contacted the gunsmith yesterday and he assured me the parts are done. The bushing caps, pins and springs are to be mailed by the end of next week. Barring any problems with the mail, I hope to have the parts and invoice in hand within the next two weeks. I will do my best to contact those of you who expressed an interest in getting these parts. If I recall, I had request for 4 sets; 2 for canuck, 1 for S&S huntclub and 1 for 81police. I certainly want to make certain that they will work as promised before I send anything to those that made a request. Please send me an email to jack1653@att.net with your name, mailing address and a phone number. I will make contact before mailing any parts.

With that order will be the forearm screws for the model 81 police models which have a different forearm than the standard 81. These are very hard to find and it cost me a bunch to have some made. I know of one member who has requested one of these and that is all that I can recall. CRS gets me more regular these days so bear with me if you made a request and I don't remember. :o

Regards,

jack1653
S and S HUNTCLUB

Sounds great Jack! Enjoy Life, The boys @ S and S HUNTCLUB
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Jack you deserve a medal and recognition as "Collector of the Year" for your persistence in face of ongoing adversity in pursuring this project to successful conclusion. FN owners especially owe you a debt of gratitude. Than you for you efforts.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

"With that order will be the forearm screws for the model 81 police models which have a different forearm than the standard 81" In what way are the screws different - length or something else?
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

I believe the only difference is the length. I never took any measurements so I really don't know for certain. I took a forearm screw from one of my police model 81's to use as a pattern. I know that the standard 81 forearm screw will not work. 81police may have more information. I know that both of us have been looking for the screw without any success so that is why I decided to have them custom made.

Regards,

jack1653
Last edited by jack1653 on Sun May 26, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
81police

Post by 81police »

the forearm screws in Model 81 Police rifles are approx. 1/8" longer than standard 81 screws.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

For the Model 81, the screw is pretty simple to make if you happen to have a lathe. I turned a forestock screw from 1/2" brass stock, and it took me less than a half-hour to do. One advantage to brass, aside from its ease of working, is that cold blue turns it jet black. I don't remember for sure, but I think the thread was 10-28. A little tight, but it goes in the threaded hole in the barrel tube boss OK. You can make it any length you want.
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm posting these photographs for Jack1653. The first photo is a complete reproduction of the FN operating handle assembly. The next photo are the most often components missing from FN handles, the op. handle bushing, the pin & spring. The last two photos are a before & after of an FN that Jack dressed up with the new parts. What a difference they make getting these rifles back up to stock. I'll be the first to say that for a rifle that's typically worth over $2,000, these small parts are well worth it when they dress up the look of the entire rifle.

Now the photos do not do these parts justice, they are of the highest quality. We have an FN with these parts missing and I can't wait to install them. THANK YOU JACK for all your hard work in having these parts made.

Anybody else who receives these parts please post before & after photos to show the difference they make. I intend on posting pictures myself.

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Re: FN Bushing Handle *UPDATE*

Post by 81police »

Here's another one of Jack's dressed up FN's. This particular rifle had the operating handle missing altogether and replaced with, what looks like, a modified Model 8 handle. Job well done Jack, what a beauty!

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I want to give a big Thank You to 81police for posting the pictures for me.

At long last the FN parts have been received. The quality and craftsmanship of the gunsmith's work is exceptional. That is probably the first charge handle ever made outside of the FN plant in Belgium. The attention to detail by the gunsmith left no question as to whether it would fit in the old FN. The wait was well worth it when you consider how much it improves the appearance over the "bubba" fix. I have replaced the four missing caps with the new parts and I trust all of you can see the improvement if the appearance of the rifles. I have kept the old parts to serve as a reminder of what guys did to get the rifle back in working condition.

The gunsmith's shop is located at 18223 Route 37, Johnston City, Illinois under the name of Williams Gunshop. You can reach Sam Williams by calling 618-969-0096 or by emailing him at williamsgunshop@live.com.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Here's a photo of some of Jack1653's FN's. This will give you an idea of how much a differences the new op. handle bushings make, several of these needed replacements and now look back to original. You certainly can't tell the difference from here! Great job Jack.
Attachments
fns.jpg
fns.jpg (177.48 KiB) Viewed 18496 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Hello Jack! First off, we want to give a big "Thanks" to Jack, for making the extended effort to have these parts reproduced. We just had the opportunity to check the parts over & they really look fantastic. We are planning on installing the parts shortly, on one of our own "Bubba Fixed" bolt handles. As soon as we get the bolt handle parts installed, we will post "Before & After" pictures!

Thanks again Jack! Everyone that receives these parts & are able to get their FN 1900's back in working order & performing as they should, are going to be very pleased. The parts look fantastic Jack!!!! Many Thanks Sir!

Your gunsmith Sam Williams, did one heck of a great job reproducing these parts!

Enjoy Life, Bob & Jeff @ S and S HUNTCLUB
canuck

Post by canuck »

Those look great fellas, and thanks Jack for the effort involved.
Jack, do you have the parts in your possession or should I contact Mr Williams myself?
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey canuck,

I have sent you a PM.

Regards,

jack1653
ranman

Post by ranman »

Nice and all back to original specs. I never thought I would see that many FNs at once, very very nice.
canuck

Post by canuck »

A huge thank you to Jack for the effort involved in making us these parts
As 81police said, very well made,fit perfectly and look great

(My apologies for the pic sizes fellas, just can't seem to master this picture taking/posting!)

Before/after of one of my FNs

Heres another

My three FNs, the top two have the new parts, bottom one is original

Two different types of screws were used as replacements for the missing parts

Thanks again Jack!!
81police

Post by 81police »

wow canuck those FN's look GREAT :D

I bet it feels nice to get those rifles back to up original condition!

I need to take pictures of my new FN bushing too.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Here's the before and after pictures of the FN 1900 that needed the new reproduction operating handle plunger, plunger spring & the plunger cap. Thanks again for having the parts reproduced Jack! The parts worked out great!
Enjoy Life, S and S HUNTCLUB
Attachments
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG (63.59 KiB) Viewed 18321 times
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG (69.58 KiB) Viewed 18321 times