Grandpa's Model 8 - #2

Posts about the Model 8
carp59901

Grandpa's Model 8 - #2

Post by carp59901 »

My dad's dad was the original owner of this model 8, serial #4404, manufactured in 1907. It's 30 cal. I have had a model 8 collecter and gunsmith go through it, and it is in remarkably good shape - ok and safe to shoot - so I do. I can't find ammo, but I will.... and I will reloard some. I have researched the gun through Harwood's book. Fascinating history. Gun has particular meaning to me since it has been in my family since manufacture. It has put a lot of vension and elk on the table. I have posted some pictures here: http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/carp59901/ I am curious about the rear sights since I can't seem to find any information about it, and I've never seen any other pictures with this sight. Can someone help me with this? Also, curious about value, thoough I will not sell it.
backtracker

Re: Grandpa's Model 8 - #2

Post by backtracker »

Hello Carp,
very nice mod 8, with alot of family history, certainly one to treasure and shoot, should you desire.
I'm not expert as to the question about the sights, and only stating what I see as the similiar examples in John Henwoods book.
The rear barrel sight looks to be a King, 6-R sight, page 226. The peep looks to be a Lyman, page 224.
Someone with much more knowledge of these will probably post more detailed info as to what they are.
The book I referenced is, "The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles" by John Henwood.
Hope this is of some help.