water buffalo with a 8?

Posts about the Model 8
Packmule

water buffalo with a 8?

Post by Packmule »

I will be hunting Water buffalo this fall , and was wanting y'alls input on doing it with a Model 8.
Do you think the 35 rem or the 300 savage has enough to get it done?
just wanting y'all thoughts thanks in advance and heres a photo for a refference
about 1200# on the hoof

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Rem8&81

Re: water buffalo with a 8?

Post by Rem8&81 »

Pack, Is this going to be an African buffalo or Cape Buffalo? Are you going over to Africa or is this a Texas hunt? If you're shooting the baby in the picture while grazing on the ranch, I'd shoot either the 35 or the 300 without too much worry. We've shot some big elk with our 8's and 81's and I wouldn't hesitate to drop a 1200 lb. cow. However, facing a charging 2000 lb. wild African bull would probably be a different story. At least you would have the potential for five shots if you have time to fire that many. I hear the wild African or Capes have tough skin and deep penetration is difficult. Heavy loads and the right bullet would probably help. It might make for a pretty tough kill. If you can hunt with an old 8 and do it, it would be a great story. I suspect the land and animal owner will have an opinion and recommendation. Keep us posted.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Yes Corey they are in Texas and no they are no cream puffs lol
they are very aggressive and very tough. They are the asian water buffalo and I am going to try it with a 35 rem my carbine Or my newer carbine in 300 savage I think and have a back up gun at the hand
will be Sept before I go and will keep y'all updated
regards ,
RMJ

RSA Member

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
olskool

Post by olskool »

i wonder if he made it without getting ran over? :cry:
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Just as a little addition to this. About two weeks ago, I have a good friend who went on a water buffalo hunt at a game ranch near Corpus Christi. I think a water buffalo was about $1000. Anyway when he got there and found out the hunting conditions he passed on the buffalo. What they had picked out for him was a younger male, and the "Hunting" was like you would find in a slaughterhouse. Get about 15 yards from it and shoot it in the head. He traded off for an Axis doe at the same price, which was a little more like real hunting.
eagles

Post by eagles »

I heard some of those crosses can also be a bit nasty . However the slughter house hunt as described is not desirable by any means BUT some other places might be a lot different and I would still like to know the outcome ?
eagles

Post by eagles »

SO WHAT HAPPENED ????
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

"Big Enough For The Biggest Game!"
War Eagle!
eagles

Post by eagles »

is packmule still a member ?
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

yep still member and the founder of this site. Didn't get around to hunting the buffalo this fall due to having bell's Plasey for 6mo. I am going for red stag hinds and spikes in Feb and will have a model 8 in tow. Happy shooting all<>RJ

RSA Member

eagles

Post by eagles »

Sorry to hear you were ill , if you can advise a good place in Texas to hunt the W.B , it would be great . I was looking forward to the results . Good luck on the Red Deer hunt. Being able to hunt WB with out going to Africa, which is way to expensive for me is a nice option to have .
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Sent ya a pm on the buffalo<>RJ

RSA Member