What kind of mount went on this rifle?

jack1653

What kind of mount went on this rifle?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I need your help in identifying the type of mount that is on this FN. When I inquired about the mount from the seller, he told me that the owner had been told the mount was done at the FN factory. Indeed, if you look at the embossing that is on the rib, it is very similar to the embossing on the mount plate. I would like to identify the mount in hopes of getting a the rest of the mount that would have held the scope.

I have provided a link below where you can see pictures of the rifle and the mount that I am referring to. The rifle is a real beauty as you will be able to see from the pictures. If you are wondering about the stock it is not factory issued but was made in Germany. The rifle got to the USA by a returning GI after the was was over.

Any help that you may give will be appreciated.

Regards,

jack1653
Last edited by jack1653 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJ Roberts

Re: What kind of mount went on this rifle?

Post by JJ Roberts »

Jack, That is a Stoeger's side mount,do you have the rings? I try to get you a good picture of the rings & mount. J.J.Roberts
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey JJ,

Thanks for the information about the mount. I don't recall having seen this mount before. I do not have the mount or the rings but would like to get them so I an make the rifle look complete. Do you have any idea of what kind of scope they would have used for that period?

Thanks,

Jack
JJ Roberts

Post by JJ Roberts »

Jack,There were two scopes that fit this mount Hensoldt & Oigee scopes.I send pictures today. J.J.
canuck

Post by canuck »

I'd be interested in seeing those pics if one of you fellows wouldn't mind posting them.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey canuck,

I received the pictures from JJ Roberts today. I'll make a copy and send them to you in an email attachment. I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on this site.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Jack,
Shoot me your pics and I'll get them posted for you - I'd like to see the mount also.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Mitch,

The pictures are on the way! Thanks

Jack
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Here you go Jack,
I was only able to get part of the page regarding the scope:
Hensoldt
As early as the 1920s, the Hensoldt Optical Co. of Wetzlar, Germany was listing an extensive line of hunting telescopic sights.
The company offered a 2.75X Zeiklein and Zielyt, both on a 22 mm tube, and a 4XZeilview and Dialytan, both in standard and lightweight versions. Hensoldt even offered a 2.5X for rimfire rifles. Called the Gnomet, it was on a 22 mm tube, had a 32-foot field of view, a 5 mm exit pupil, and was only 8.875 inches long. Internal windage adjustment was available for $6 extra. A choice of five different Graticles (reticles) was available, ranging from no charge to $6 extra, with a delay in shipment of six weeks. The standard reticle was a post and crosswire. (from pg 76 • Old Rifle Scopes)
Attachments
1900Mount2.jpg
1900Mount2.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 9801 times
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

VERY COOL! Hope you can find rings and an original scope, that would make an awesome setup on that FN.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Mitch,

Thanks a million for the picture posting. You did a great job of enhancing the picture. Now for the next challenge, try and find a source for the mount. I imagine there is one out there and if I could get one, I think I would really have a unique FN. I don't know the availability of the Hensoldt scope, but I suppose any period correct scope would work. Thanks again, Mitch.

Jack