The 566-example

MBiz

The 566-example

Post by MBiz »

After much research another one appeared. I am pretty please with this one since it is in a good shape.

I will need your help to help to identify the proper sight. May be some of you can share pics.

The proof marking
Bandersnatch

Re: The 566-example

Post by Bandersnatch »

Methinks someone has replaced the barrel jacket with one from a model 8.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
81police

Post by 81police »

Bandersnatch wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:30 am Methinks someone has replaced the barrel jacket with one from a model 8.
Good eyes Bandersnatch! So the rear sight maybe, but I don't think barrel assemblies between 8/81's and FN 1900's are interchangeable. The receivers are recessed differently for the takedown screw and jacket head.

Great looking FN!!! Previously unrecorded in our database. Thanks for sharing photos and SN. But that's going to be fun to shoot!!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Mayhap Jack could comment. I note the different stamp on the (definitely) "Remington" rear sight, it's a twin for many I've seen. I note no date stamp on the barrel sleeve block, & there seems to be no roll stamp on the top of the barrel sleeve. I know there are a few FNs without the rib, could be one....
Phyrbird
SOKY
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

81police wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:04 pm
Bandersnatch wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:30 am Methinks someone has replaced the barrel jacket with one from a model 8.
Good eyes Bandersnatch! So the rear sight maybe, but I don't think barrel assemblies between 8/81's and FN 1900's are interchangeable. The receivers are recessed differently for the takedown screw and jacket head.

Great looking FN!!! Previously unrecorded in our database. Thanks for sharing photos and SN. But that's going to be fun to shoot!!
My thought is this: 1. that's certainly not an FN rear sight. 2. If you look at the left side of the receiver you can see that the finish is worn on the receiver but not on the barrel jacket, which looks almost new.

If there is a difference between the fitting of the jacket on the 8 and the 1900, I bet some talented gun smith way back when did some grinding and fitting to make it work. Of course that can't be known until we see this example disassembled.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
MBiz

Post by MBiz »

Bandersnatch wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:04 am
81police wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:04 pm

My thought is this: 1. that's certainly not an FN rear sight. 2. If you look at the left side of the receiver you can see that the finish is worn on the receiver but not on the barrel jacket, which looks almost new.

If there is a difference between the fitting of the jacket on the 8 and the 1900, I bet some talented gun smith way back when did some grinding and fitting to make it work. Of course that can't be known until we see this example disassembled.
Thank you guys for your feedback. I certainly do not have your knowledge but I noticed that the few model 8 in my collection have the Remington address and the Browning patent stamp on the jacket. However, all the F.N. in my collection including the subject of this post have no markings on the jacket. As you well know all the marking of the F.N. are on the receiver.
ranman

Post by ranman »

The barrel jacket is one of the few parts on an FN that have no markings or inspection stamps.This is likely original to the receiver as condition appears to match . FN and Remington sights may be swapped on round barrel models with no alterations to the gun. Very nice FN you have in you collection.
81police

Post by 81police »

agreed w/ ranman. My opinion corresponds to his...this is an original FN, plain jacket, barrel assembly that's had a Remington rear sight swap.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator