Guess what I found? (now with pics)

yzf

Guess what I found? (now with pics)

Post by yzf »

Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie here from north of Toronto and I was referred here by a co-member of a Canadian Gun Forum.
I recently bought some older guns from an Estate Sale. The one was a no brainer for me a model 1894 winchester built in 1911 with some factory options in very good shape and the other was this different looking thing built by FN which was the oldest semi-auto I ever saw. Even the registration papers (I am from Canada.... don't get me started lol) showed it as "unidentified semi auto 22" Barrel". Took it to a couple local gun shops .... they had no idea. Did a bunch of research on line and it turns out that I found me a FN 1900 (you probably already guessed that by where I posted). Serial Number in 13XX. So I am trying to get some info and background on it. Mayber put a value to it. I'd love to put some pics up if someone can tell me how? I am also considering selling it if anyone is interested (depends on how much I'd get ..... If it's not worth anything I'll pull it outta the safe for one of those "have you ever seen one of these?" conversation pieces.)
Last edited by yzf on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yzf

Re: Guess what I found?

Post by yzf »

ok here's some pics.... collectors may cry but its a fun shooter barrel and action a Great.

sighthound

Re: Guess what I found? (now with pics)

Post by sighthound »

you are one lucky dog, these are hard to find, only about 4100 ever made and for sale in europe, few made it to North America, serial on yours indicates first year production in 1929, yours is the more scarce model without barrel rib, yours has been used, looks to have had new stock finish and butt plate changed, values ?, at auction these go much higher than book values, recently saw one sell on GunBroker for around $2300 USD. These are almost identical to Remington Model 8, caliber is a variety in europe, 8.86, 8.9, or 9 x 48 or 49 and all are same as 35 Remington. The book The Great Remington 8 by John Henwood has a section about the FN model. Certainly a keeper in my view, you likely will never find another, Sighthound
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Correction on date of manufacture should read between 1910 and 1929 rather than first year 1929, Sighthound
81police

Post by 81police »

Good looking rifle. Even with the non original charging/operating handle and buttplate, it's still a rare bird, great addition to any M8/M81 collection. I believe only 4913 were manufactured and some were sold in Canada originally. Nice find!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
yzf

Post by yzf »

Ok something else i noticed that seems odd on this FN is the the notch at the rear of the forearm. I have not seen it on any others now that I have been doing some researching. It looks stock and makes the matching serial number on the barrel readable. I spent 16 years in the Infantry and all of our barrels had matching serial numbers to the reciever. My hunting rifles don't. Could this be a pre-ww1 rifle that was purchased by a military unit? I heard some were used in the war. Has anyone seen this notch before on an FN 1900?
81police

Post by 81police »

The notch in your forearm with the exposed serial number is a chip out of your forearm. Originally it would have been covered up and could have only been seen with the forearm removed. The serial number of the receiver and the barrel assembly should always match, that part is correct.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
yzf

Post by yzf »

81police wrote:The notch in your forearm with the exposed serial number is a chip out of your forearm. Originally it would have been covered up and could have only been seen with the forearm removed. The serial number of the receiver and the barrel assembly should always match, that part is correct.
That's what I have started to think... but it seems awfully coincidental about the location an it has been finished to look like it was on purpose.
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

As to the suggestion about military use, John Henwood's book begining on page 30 details French military purchase of FN 1900s, Remington 8s and Winchester 1907 and 1910 semi auto rifles for use by Air Service in 1914 before suitable machine guns were developed. Remington modified a few 8s, a fullstock military style match rifle and a halfstock self loading tactical trials rifle for US Army, both examples of these are almost non existant. There is some notes and pictures on the The Great Model 8 Forum under military trials model 8 recreated about these.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Today on the show Master Marksmen, there was a shot of the military model 8s.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
Andeson

Post by Andeson »

First time to here and this topic was good to read i love weapon topics so i was interested to visit this topic and i found out this good information about guns thanks for sharing sir.