What should I pay for a Browning 1900 in an auction?

JohnBrowning

What should I pay for a Browning 1900 in an auction?

Post by JohnBrowning »

I see that someone else asked this question and got no response so I will ask it again. I've always wanted a Fn version of the Model 8 and there is one for sale on Gunbroker.com. Does anyone else have one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =155273989
81police

Re: What should I pay for a Browning 1900 in an auction?

Post by 81police »

A few things I noticed about this rifle...

-It's operating handle has been modified or replaced (looks like a Model 8 handle with modified bushing).
-added recoil pad
-forearm takedown screw is not original
-sling swivels are not original
-missing special flip rear sight
- FN's (to my knowledge) might not have come originally with a tang sight screw hole like Model 8/81's. I've seen both late and early production FN's without this hole.

All things considered, it's still an FN and still collectible.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

I have been watching this auction, too. Looks like somebody is going to pay alot! :shock:
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I believe our own " jack1653 " is the top dog at the moment and my money is on him being the new owner.
2verpsters

Post by 2verpsters »

My assessment is spot on with 81Police. It is not the most original 1900 we have ever seen. I have both versions also, ribbed and non ribbed, early and later production. That gun is not completely original and I'm not sure it is worth any more than the currrent bid of $2200 or so. While both of mine are original, I would not expect them to bring much more than that in an open auction. Perhaps I am wrong on that but I do not have that much in both of mine combined and just missed another one for about 1/2 that current bid. That being said, they are quite rare and considered one of the holy grails of model 8 collecting, in almost any shape or form. It's a matter of how much you want to spend and then if a better one comes along, you can always upgrade and sell off the lesser version. However, I'd have dropped out of the bidding at about the $1200 mark or so if you are interested in my opinion.

Pete