A poor bubba'd Browning 1900

smitsauce

A poor bubba'd Browning 1900

Post by smitsauce »

Just added my third FN 1900 to the safe. It is with much displeasure that I present this once beautiful rifle to you in it's present form. Serial number 943, plain barrel jacket. It is all matching with terrible bubba'd forend, made to look like a model 8 and disgusting carving on the once beautiful butt stock with an old crummy recoil pad added. Both pieces of wood are stamped with the 943 serial so they used to be nice! I am trying to source an Auto 5 shotgun butt stock currently to get rid of that abomination. I will have to have a forend made to replace that one then colour matched to bring this girl up to standard. It has an over sized, for normal peep screws, hole in the rear of the receiver that will have to be filled in at some point. The rear sight is from an 81 and the front sight is a lyman replacement. Looks to have been reblued a long time ago and that is turning brownish, the left side of the receiver has a bunch of shallow pitting that may be able to be buffed out eventually. The bore looks to be pretty good with no pitting. The rifling at the chamber end a bit rounded for the first couple of inches, but the rest has nice sharp rifling.

It is missing the safety ball sunk into the receiver to stop the safety from travelling too far. Anyone know if they were just press-fit into the receivers? I would like to get something in there to limit the movement of the safety before I get it refurbished so the receiver wear that you see in the pictures doesn't happen again.

Not to concerned about putting a bit of money into her to get her looking really nice again as I picked it up for $250.00 CDN shipped to my door!

Cheers,

Ian

S and S HUNTCLUB

Re: A poor bubba'd Browning 1900

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

This is a great piece of FN history! The rifle shows many signs of being enjoyed afield throughout its hunting history. The re-shaping of the wood is unique as well and we like the plain barrel too. Its a great find and we sure hope that you get the chance to enjoy it!

Regarding the safety detent ball... You can get a 1/8" diameter ball bearing from your local hardware store and tap it into place. You may have to use a little epoxy, if the detent ball wants to keep popping out of position.

Enjoy Life, Bob & Jeff @ S and S HUNTCLUB
81police

Post by 81police »

I've always said, "any FN is a collectible FN" and I think that certainly still holds true for this gun! I agree with S and S HUNTCLUB that you've got a very cool piece of autoloading history here. Oh boy, if only that rifle could tell stories!

And especially for the price you paid, I'd say you made out better than good ;) Congrats on a rare find :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ranman

Post by ranman »

I have to say that's the ugliest dog I've see for along time....but I sure would like it hanging on my wall. Nice find :mrgreen: congrats