plain barrel model #11xx

ranman

plain barrel model #11xx

Post by ranman »

I was at a gun show looking for model 8s and found this instead. I believe it to be all correct including early buttplate. It has a lyman end site that flips up to show a circle with post or down for post only and a lyman peep site with flip down center. :D :D
May 7 035.jpg
May 7 035.jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
May 7 038.jpg
May 7 038.jpg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
May 7 039.jpg
May 7 039.jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
rem81auto

Re: plain barrel model #11xx

Post by rem81auto »

ranman,

Nice find congrats. the rifle appears to be in very nice condition. I do not believe the FN's came tapped for the tang sights like the Rem's did. I think the front sight is a replacement also .... not trying to drop a turd in the punch bowl cuz I sure would love to find one like it. Dennis
Roger

Post by Roger »

Ranman--Gosh are you lucky. What a great find. I would love to have that rifle. I don't know what you had to pay,but that peep sight @ front globe sight are worth 200$ or more here in Iowa .Good work.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

VERY nice FN ranman! I'm impressed by the blueing and wood condition. You scored with that one :shock:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

ranman, That is a really great find. The plain barrels, w/o a rib, are often looked at as less desirable, but they are less often encountered, so you decide. Dennis is correct about the FN's not having a factory provision for the tang sights, so the hole is blemish; but you got a great tang sight in the deal, so who can complain. The front sight is indeed a replacement, but if your going to have a front sight replaced, you want it to be with the one you got. That front sight is worth as much as the tang. The sights hurt the original collectors value of an original FN, but the condition is great and with so few available, who cares. I love the model 8's, but when you compare them to the chraftmanship and detailed construction of an FN, I have to give the nod to the FN's. They are pretty awesome. I hope you stole it. Enjoy shooting it.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
ranman

Post by ranman »

I knew the tang site was not original but was not sure about the end or globe site. I have never found this type of end site, but I do like it. Were all the end sites the same type on these ? Thanks again .
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

The appearance of the wood, checkering and blue all look as if this rifle was put away in a very safe and secure spot when new and used very little. You did good with this, the sight are a plus in my view, modest improvements to make the rifle even better. Jerry
canuck

Post by canuck »

Interesting that my non-ribbed FN 1900 sports the same sights

jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey canuck,

It is good to hear from you again. :D That is a nice looking rifle. Thanks for posting the pictures. Is this picture of the same rifle in your previous postings about two years ago, May 22, 2010 or have you added another one? I guess the "jackitis" applies to the FN's as it does to the 8 & 81's. :lol: I could not see the front sights in those pictures. I would love to find one of the plain barrel FN's. The ones that I have are all ribbed. I'll have to be content until one is made available. :roll:

Regards,

jack1653
canuck

Post by canuck »

Thanks jack, I've always been around - just lurking!
Yes, this would be the same rifle you remember.
I have three FNs, but this is the only plain barreled one.