How much is this rifle worth?

How much is this rifle worth?

Post by 2955 »

Hello,

i was wondering what would be a fair prize for this rifle "FN 1900" in the US it is slightly damaged on the gun stock

Regards
Tryggvi
jack1653

Re: How much is this rifle worth?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 2955,

Determining the value of any gun is so dependent on a wide variety of variables. Pictures will tell only a part of the story and there should be more to get a better view of the rifle.

I was not able to clearly determine the serial number of the rifle. FN produced 4913 rifles between 1910 and 1936. Obviously earlier or lower serial numbers are often more valuable than later or higher serial numbers.

The busted toe on the stock cerainly will affect the value. A good wood man can make a repair that would improve the value. It appears that the butt plate is also damaged and finding a replacement will be extremely difficult. (Note: You may want to review some of the threads about the horn butt plates).

The condition of the checkering is important. It is difficult to get a full detail of the checkering on the stock and forearm. The metal appears to show normal wear, but again, the pictures do not show enough detail to make an accurate assessment.

Some of the early FN's had issues with the bolt handle and replacements were often substituted. The bolt handle appears to be original. The screws on the left side are what we call "buggered" and this is a negative. I can only assume that at some point the gun has been disassembled and care was not taken in the removal of the screws. I cannot see the tang screws in enough detail to determine their condition.

The front sight sight appears to have an issue, but again a better picture should answer that question. There isn't a complete picture of the rear sight, but what I could see appears to be the standard flip sight found on the FN's with the ribbed barrel.

It would help to know if the rifles has been maintained and the condition of the internals. These rifles were quite reliable and as a result many owners did not take the time to tear the rifle down periodically to give the internals a good cleaning and oiling. I could not see enough detail on the muzzel end to determine the condition of the barrel nut and jacket nut. The inside of these old rifles barrel jackets are often very dirty and even corroded with powder residue. The rifle bore should be bright and the riflings sharp.

I will stop at this point and let others weigh in on the discussion.

I think you will find most of the gentleman on this Forum are reluctant to set a price on another man's rifle. The price is determined by the owner and the purchase price is determined by how badly someone wants to have an FN in their collection. I will say that any FN is a much desired rifle even with imperfections by many gun owners. They are very hard to find and to find an FN in any condition is a rare opportunity. I will be more than happy to share some prices with you that I have paid for the FN's in my collection if you will send me a PM.

I hope that I have not painted a negative picture about your FN. They are only my observations from a very few pictures. I would consider yourself lucky to have one of the FN's and I would not see any difficulty in selling it should you be so inclined.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653

Post by 2955 »

Hello,

thanks for the info i will try to post some more photos of my rifle

Regards
Tryggvi
Attachments
IMG_4434.1jpg.jpg
IMG_4434.1jpg.jpg (120.79 KiB) Viewed 7383 times
Russilwest

Post by Russilwest »

I don,t have any idea about this weapon cost,,, but this is nice weapons looks this cost much cause its just a small crack in that side of weapon,, so that's not an issue..