A Model 81 in .300 Savage

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
kenhwind

A Model 81 in .300 Savage

Post by kenhwind »

I had posted a reference to this rifle in the Q&A section, but will put more data here. Well we went to a gun show, my brother and I and came home with a Model 81 in 300 Savage. We have a Model 8 in .35 that was my Dad's.

The gun has some issues, it has been drilled for a scope mount, the front sight was Bubbasmithed as was the surrounding area. The safety lever is slightly loose on the shaft and traveled down too far and gouged the receiver. Of course all of this probably happened many years ago.

Overall condition is pretty good considering the prices I've seen for these guns lately. Paid $350.00 OTD. Bought the only box of ammo there. Well we shot it last Sunday. Shoots pretty good. The 300 Savage ain't no slouch. I think the .35 might kick a little more. We were going to compare the two, but did not have the desire after blasting that box of 300s.

I'll try and get some pictures up. The gun is disassembled at the moment.
KEN
imfuncity

Re: A Model 81 in .300 Savage

Post by imfuncity »

Sounds to me like you did good both on price and condition as a shooter - normal types of issues.

Look forward to the pictures, don't forget to get us pictures of the hole configuration for the scope, hopefully we can help you find what you scope mount you need.

Indeed the 300Sav is a shoulder full! Personally, I think it hits a little harder then the 35 but that's just me - I'm allergic to recoil! :(
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I've been wanting a 300 Savage for awhile. A Model 99 Savage would have been fine, but a Model 81 was my top choice. Most of the Model 81s I've seen lately were priced too much for the particular firearm or had a deal breaker. My brother and I kind of wanted one we could play with without altering a decent gun. This one fills that niche.
Our Model 8 has a straight stock and the small forearm, so it might be a toss up in the recoil dept. I'm sure we will be shooting both in the not to distant future.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well I got lucky. I was cruising the Numrich Arms web site and found a sight base. On a hunch I ordered it. The hole spacing was correct for the 81 altough the holes had to be bored out. And the sight had to be fit to the barrel jacket.
So now the Model has a folding rear sight and a tang sight.
KEN
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Check this one out.

Here is a guy that really knows what he is selling.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... &oh=216543
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"Buy with confidence" seals the deal for me! :twisted:

Does look nice - from a distance.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine