81 magazine question

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
TNyoteboy

81 magazine question

Post by TNyoteboy »

Well after tearing my 81 down because the magazine follower would not allow more than 2 rounds in the magazine, I discovered the magazine spring seems to have been installed backwards. Travel appeared to be normal then, but after trying to load 4 rounds in the magazine the follower now hangs up at the bottom. The rear of the follower seems to be hanging on something and has to be popped loose to return. 3 rounds are fine, but that 4th one gums up the works.
TNyoteboy

Re: 81 magazine question

Post by TNyoteboy »

I'm a Remington 870/1100/11-87/700 and Colt M-4/16 LE armorer so I know my way around guns, but I can't for the life of me find a schematic with the correct orientation of the magazine spring. I replaced it the most logical way I could see and it functions fine until it bottoms out in the magazine, that's when it hangs at the rear. Most of the schematics I've seen show the spring compressed. Do the rivets go toward the front or rear and which way should the top leg of the spring be facing, front or rear?
TNyoteboy

Post by TNyoteboy »

I sure will
TNyoteboy

Post by TNyoteboy »

Aha, got it. I was able to remove the follower and magazine spring without tearing the rifle down and found out when I had put the magazine back together I had failed to get the top leg of the spring in FRONT of the lip on the underside of the rear of the follower and that is what was hanging when it bottomed out. Feel better now. 5 rounds in the magazine and it feeds fine now.