Model 81 Project Gun - Update*

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
81police

Model 81 Project Gun - Update*

Post by 81police »

Coming soon...(no Police guns will be hurt in the making of this rifle)

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Behemotosh

Re: Model 81 Project Gun - Sneak Peek

Post by Behemotosh »

Cam,

What do you do-stay up all night thinking of ways to use up all of the parts guns the rest of us are trying to find?

Looks like a real fire pumper!

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey,

Darn it 81police! It looks like you have a custom forearm on that 81. I like the looks of it! What else are you going to do to it? You are going to make me look for another variation for these POE Magazines.

I have a model 8 and a model 81 with these POE magazines and as soon as ole Pete fixes the carbine, I'll have another one of a kind. Pete told me that the carbine went through the first 15 rounds okay but midway through the second round, something broke internally. He was going to try and get it fixed and do another test this Saturday.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

:o :shock: 8-)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

it's in the preliminary stages and I'll try and photo all the steps as they go, but yes hats off to Remcrazy for the forearm I'm intending to use. The photo is just a mock-up of what it will hopefully resemble.

Now Jack, I know about your other project POEC rifle, that's gonna be a head turner! Just don't tease us, we'll need a video of that BEAST in action!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I'm the "poor-relation" seconding the idea of a video - for BOTH of you. :shock: :arrow: And where are the vids of the CarbinePete's that are already out there :?: :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Pete's original 25Rem carbine video...(also reposted in the "Rem 8 Carbine" topic)

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I like and the there is a real Pete too! Way cool, now where is that extra 25 I had :roll:
81police

Post by 81police »

the host rifle is on it's way, thanks to a great forum member ;)

Preliminary pictures to follow.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

This is the "before" picture.

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

OK,.... Waiting .... :?
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

boxes and boxes of 35 rem standing by..............can't wait to shoot it........... :D

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
81police

Post by 81police »

Well fellas, it's been a while since I posted about this rifle. Phase I is complete. The gun is now 36" overall in length.

Thanks to our buddy here on the forums, 2pversters, the barrel & assembly are shortened to 17". Pete also performed a proper, period correct magazine conversion with an original 81 magazine I provided. This includes his method of tailoring an internal safety stop to prevent the safety lever from over traveling. Very cool work. And I'll mention it again, if anyone is remotely interested in some of his handiwork feel free to give him an email... tversch@hotmail.com

The forearm on the gun is not obviously finished, but its pictured here as comparison. It is one of Circle B Ranch's "Special Police" Model 81 reproduction forearms. And a NICE reproduction it is!

Phase II will include finishing up the forearm to match the buttstock, mounting a Lyman 6R flip rear sight on the barrel jacket, and rust bluing the magazine. Stay tuned!
Attachments
P1010957.JPG
P1010957.JPG (164.22 KiB) Viewed 35406 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Cool. I'm still a bit confused as to th why but then, why not? My shoulder is NOT waiting to try it. :shock: I'll wait for the vid.
81police

Post by 81police »

I wanted to make a version what I thought the original "Special Police" rifle should have been, a short carbine for LE work. My shoulder won't likely appreciate the idea :cry:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Well I'll be darn, it did arrive and every bit the beauty that I knew it would be. :D All this time I thought you were just telling me you had one coming. ;) I'll be waiting for the video of you backing up as you let it rip. :lol:

Everybody better look out the next time the Georgian and the Texan get together for some brass rain. We will add a whole bunch of new action videos. It could be a show stopper if I could convince you to shoot those police models you have. Honest my Friend, it won't hurt to shoot them. :o I bet they will shoot every bit as well as mine. I'll bring the horse linament for the sore shoulders. I definitely think we should start stock piling some ammo for the big day.

I think you will be satisfied with the slow rust blue. It will take several weeks before you get it back, but the wait will be worth it. There is no question the Police model forearm make this rifle look better than the standard forearm. I may have to have one of these forearms made for my carbine and keep the modified tommy gun grip for back-up.

My sincerest congratulations on this excellent conversion for your collection.

Regards,

jack1653
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Way out of my league but very cool. 8-)
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
texassako

Post by texassako »

Very nice rifle, and you must make a video of shooting that one. I definitely want to see the look on your face after you empty that one.
81police

Post by 81police »

texassako wrote:Very nice rifle, and you must make a video of shooting that one. I definitely want to see the look on your face after you empty that one.
it's in the works :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

it shoots pretty decent, i'll have to post a video
Attachments
snapshot20120919145747 copy.jpg
snapshot20120919145747 copy.jpg (464.5 KiB) Viewed 35318 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

What a flame :o must be loaded with BP. 8-)

USAF-72-76
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Back in the day it would have taken alot for me to have given up my 870 Riot gun, but this one comes close. If I had missed them, ( not likely) the muzzle blast would have knocked them down. Shooting at night I wouldn`t have needed a Kel Light.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Wow! :o And it sure doesn't look like it's dark when you were shooting. Who'd thunk?
Roger

Post by Roger »

Great balls of fire! And in broad daylight too. Looks like it was a really fun time Cam
Thanks
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
texassako

Post by texassako »

I have not seen any of these calibers give that kind of blast, but when you go short barrel and bigger cartridge I guess it inevitable. It sort of looks like what some of my milsurp carbines throw out depending on the powder. I think that video needs to be filmed in the evening now ;) .
81police

Post by 81police »

That flame is really an oddity. I shot about 35 rounds through the Police carbine and this was the only cartridge that did that. I noticed it going frame by frame and thought it was a cool picture! I will have a video up in a couple weeks.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
texassako

Post by texassako »

I have some surplus powder that was throwing a blast out like that yesterday in my Carcano carbine with a hot load and heavy bullet. Your pic reminded me of the .357 Mag video floating around blowing fire rings.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

OK so... the vid or a link? Got a few 357s: "... .357 Mag video floating around blowing fire rings." :o :D
81police

Post by 81police »

Still planning on a video (eventually), but here's a cool screenshot of a Model 81 in recoil. With the barrel all the way back it makes the muzzle end look like a cannon!
Attachments
Model 81 recoil.jpg
Model 81 recoil.jpg (137.64 KiB) Viewed 35194 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Neat picture 8-) my wife has a nack of being able to snap the shutter at the right time so might have her try and get some shots like that. :)

USAF-72-76
81police

Post by 81police »

haha I hope not Pitchy! ** Disclaimer - the camera was on a tripod! **
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Maybe a side shot :lol:

USAF-72-76
81police

Post by 81police »

Alright I finally got around to uploading a video featuring this rifle. Y'all can check it out at the link below, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXUUmhbcDM
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Really enjoyed that video, dern cool rifles for sure 8-)
Thanks.

USAF-72-76
81police

Post by 81police »

Project "81 Police Carbine" is officially complete! I just received the rifle back from Jim Green with GunWorks in Harrington, Maine. What an outstanding gunsmith! He trimmed & finished up the forearm and also installed the Lyman 6R rear sight. He even noticed one of the catch pins in the magazine was a tad loose and fixed that as well. This magazine was painted black in the 1940's and I"ll probably leave it that way for now. Since so many people helped out on this rifle I have to give my shout-outs...

jack1653 helped procure me the perfect host rifle

2pversters performed the period correct magazine conversion & barrel assembly shortening to 17".

remcrazy with Circle B Ranch provided the Model 81 "Special Police" reproduction extended forearm & the Lyman 6R rear sight. (circlebranch@cox.net)

GunWorks finished up the forearm, installed the Lyman 6R, and made a repair to the magazine. (http://www.downeastgunworks.com/)

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Very cool 8-) I feel a shooting video coming... :D
Roger

Post by Roger »

Cool rifle,Cam.I just love it when a plan comes together.I'm sure looking forward to an action video.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Roger you might be onto something. With the express leaf sight and that short sight radius, it lends itself well for fast target acquisition.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

Well, Well, Well. :D :D :D I can hardly wait for my little friend to meet your little friend this spring. :lol: :lol: :lol: You had better start stocking up on some of the .35 Rem ammunition and some good horse linement for the sore shoulders. :!: By the time we finish shooting the other new conversions, (6 in total), for each of the other calibers with the POE magazines we will need it, especially after the 300 Savage.

I know how proud you are to finally have your project come to a successful conclusion. I wish I could have been there when you opened the carton. It makes you feel like a little kid at Christmas when they receive a new toy. Now you know how I feel when I see one of my projects come to a good conclusion. Thanks for the acknowledgement and it was my pleasure to contribute to your project.

Congratulations my Good Friend.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

let's do it Jack!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Cam,

I had been hoping for some time to get in my own reply to this post. Now, I have a minute!

1. Nice finished product - a great team effort. Looks great, and the 17" barrel job looks just right-on.
2. The POE mag modification is also awesome - we all like more ammo to be there when we want it.
3. Final note - could you answer a few questions I have about the barrel and jacket modifications?

2pversters did the work on the barrel and jacket. Any chance you took any "in-process" workshop pictures of this? I am interested in learning how this was done, because the final product is absolutely stunning. I am all over the notion of making a barrel half assembly to swap over to an M8 or M81, sort of like having an extra shorty upper assembly for an AR-15 lower.

Was the "cut" made to the barrel extension end of both the jacket and the barrel? Would it be possible to get more info?

Thanks guys. Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

Adam,

Thanks for the compliments. To answer your question, no I don't think 2pversters took photographs of the process. What he does though, after careful measuring, is shorten the barrel jacket from the breech end, and shorten the barrel from the muzzle end. Then he re-threads both. The link below takes you to where all this first started.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Your post helped me figure out which ends of the barrel and the jacket got cut - I wondered whether the barrel threads (at the muzzle end) would logically get the re-do, since it makes sense to recycle a barrel with a worn muzzle like this. Like how the old military bolt rifles get a "second life" with a counterbore a couple inches in from the muzzle.

Very nice to see the short version with a later-style long-length forearm - works for me!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

shortening the muzzle, then rethreading, is ideal because it maintains the factory barrel contour which is essential because you have to remember the barrel runs in-between the springs and spring case.

These guns will actually function with even shorter barrels. Where legal you could potentially convert one into a Class 3 SBR, I've always wanted to do one with a 12" barrel. I've got photos of a 14.5" Model 8. Have also seen a Model 11 shotgun shortened to approx. 10". Cool stuff :)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"I've got photos of a 14.5" Model 8."
No pix, no happen!! :P
81police

Post by 81police »

You got me Mitch ;)

I'll start a new thread, we can call it "Model 8 & 81 Carbine Picture Thread"
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

LIKE! :D
81police

Post by 81police »

I wanted to give a big shout out to our very own Jack1653 for his wood workmanship! After sending Jack a spare Circle B Ranch "Special Police" forearm, Jack expertly installed a Thompson SMG foregrip. This is an ode to Texas Ranger "Lone Wolf" Gonzales's modified Model 8. This grip may look odd to some, but it definitely helps in controlling this rowdy springpole. Thank again Jack, love the look. Now I have to make another video and shoot some more ammo :D

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Re: Model 81 Project Gun - Update*

Post by Roger »

Hey Cameron and Jack,
That's one mean looking unit you've built there. Can't wait to see the video.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Re: Model 81 Project Gun - Update*

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Cameron,

Thanks for the compliment. It was my pleasure to do this for a very special friend. I failed to mention when I sent it to you that it will work on any of your Model 81 Police models although it looks really neat on the carbine.

We both know the benefits of having this style grip on the forearm from our previous shooting of my carbine with the same style grip. It adds a control element particularly when in a rapid fire mode. I want to see the side by side videos the next time we can get together when we really throw some lead down range.

Merry Christmas my Friend and May God continue to Bless you.

Kindest Personal Regards,

Jack