Grades of 81

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
uhjohnson

Grades of 81

Post by uhjohnson »

how does one distinguish between the grade A and B 81 they have? is the gun stamped? i see the difference in the higher grades
D,E,F
thanks
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
81police

Re: Grades of 81

Post by 81police »

The standard grade 81's or "A" grade, will have plain American walnut. Checkering does not necessarily denote a higher grade. However, most checkering you see is not factory and VERY few "A" grades have factory checkering.

The next grade up of 81 was called the "C" grade from 1936-1939, it was later renamed the "B" grade from 1940-1950. These two grades will have a prettier quality wood and factory checkering. The earlier "C" grade rifles (from what I've witnessed) actually have "cheeks" where the wrist meets the receiver much like pre WWI Model 8's. These earlier rifles have English walnut with checkering. The later "B" grade rifles have stocks of select American walnut with checkering. They do not have the "cheeks" and their receivers should be marked "MODEL 81 - B". The "- B" marking is not always perfectly centered as it was clearly hand stamped after the receiver was mfg. Most of these B and C grades I've witnesed have factory installed sling swivel eyelets.

"B" and "C" grade rifles should be so marked on the inside of the forearm as well as the stock.

Help me out guys, did I forget something?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator