is this a fair price for an 81?

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
uhjohnson

is this a fair price for an 81?

Post by uhjohnson »

this auction just ended and i was wondering if it went for a fair price for a shooter. http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=9864619. i am new to this sight and new to the 8/81's. first thing wrong with the gun is the swivels added and it appears the stock is refinished (i don't know if it is suppose to have a gloss/semi-gloss or oil) and according to Jack the wood is low at the tang, also what does the "AF" mean on the barrel mounting collar (i don't know what it is called) anything else you may see wrong with this gun let me know. all in all it looks great for a 73 year old.

thanks
joe
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
jack1653

Re: is this a fair price for an 81?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Joe,

The rifle is a fair price if you wanted it!! I watched this rifle and it appeared to be nice. I suspect it has been refinished. You should be able to tell by seeing if the wood is sharp and not rounded. Swivels were often added by owners. Take it out and put some rounds through it.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I have watched several Jack the Dog auctions; he appears to present it accurately although I have not done business with him, yet.

The "AF" on the barrel jacket head/shoulder was Remington's coded dating system for the month and year: "A" = March, "F" = 1937 (2nd year 3,220 produced).

Very nice looking rifle is it now yours?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

what are the stampings on the bottom of the receiver just in front of the magazine

thanks
joe
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

According to THE book: Henwood's The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 pg 71ff, there has been a lot of interest in those marks. But they are only various "Assemblers, Fitters, and Inspectors Markings" stamped on as the gun passed through assembly; there is very little rhyme or reason to them, and they have never affected value one way or another on revealed any deep dark secrets. (Unless of course one's grandfather worked there and you knew what stamp he used and he was sending the family a coded message "I'll be late for dinner". :roll: - just a joke.)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

i thought the stampings may have been rebuild marks

thanks

81police

Post by 81police »

the wood looks as if it has been slightly sanded and refinished. This is evidenced as Jack pointed out, and by the seller, by the wood a little low at the tang. Also, the forearm where it angles out (beavertail) does not retain it's sharp edge like it once had.

Sling swivels are aftermarket.

The metal finish looks original.

That's a nice looking early gun.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator