Bolt overriding cartridge rim

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
gtwannabe

Bolt overriding cartridge rim

Post by gtwannabe »

I have a jam-o-matic masquerading as a nice looking Remington 81 Deluxe in .300 Savage:

Having a problem where the bolt does not strip rounds 2 or 3 from the magazine. It overrides the cartridge rim and jams between the bullet and the feedramp. I can hand cycle ammo though the gun perfectly, but it always jams while firing.

I've already done the following:

- disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the barrel jacket
- replaced ejector to fix ejection problem
- straightened mangled mag lips and re-crimped like an unmolested mag to fix nosediving cartridges
- checked mag body for dents, magazine spring orientation, follower moves freely

Ammo is not the problem; my friend has the same gun and my reloads run 100% in his gun. The only significant difference I can see is that his gun has a wider gap between the magazine spring clips (0.8" vs. 0.6").
81police

Re: Bolt overriding cartridge rim

Post by 81police »

If you have an extra magazine assembly around you might try swapping and trying that. Doesn't take too much misalignment to have feeding problems, are your side springs still good?

These are just my guesses, where's 2pversters when you need him!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
RJSPORT

Re: Bolt overriding cartridge rim

Post by RJSPORT »

You need to make sure the magazine spring is in facing the right way, this is the most common cause of overrides. The spring is just backwards of the common Mauser spring in that the tail points to the rear.