Finally got one coming.

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
9.3shooter

Finally got one coming.

Post by 9.3shooter »

After quite some time searching, got up today and checked sites and found 2, count them 2 new listings on Guns International, one from Collectors Firearms in TX and the other from Cabelas also in TX. Both well under a grand.
First was a nice Model 8, .30 Rem, refinished but no other mods, called in, gone. Dang!
Next try was from Cabelas, Model 81 (1949) .30 Rem with some previous owner "embellishments", but nothing horribly rude like extra holes etc. It had an added recoil pad, not a hideous job, and wood pistol grip cap screwed on, which I will remove if it can be done without ruining something.
When I called the guy he couldn't find it at first and said it may be gone already, call you back. Ten minutes later he called back and had found it. Had him give me an evaluation of the bore, (good) and ensure no extra holes anywhere, I just hate seeing holes all over a receiver side! :x

So sometime early next week I should have it in hand and will post up when I have it. :)
Bandersnatch

Re: Finally got one coming.

Post by Bandersnatch »

Huzzah! I love a happy ending.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Forgot that per state law now I must wait 10 days to pick up this rifle as its now considered an "assault rifle", per a state initiative passed a couple of years ago.
Yeah, believe it or not its an assault rifle! By the new law ANY semi auto rifle, even a .22 LR gallery gun, is now classified as such and while it can still be purchased we must wait 10 days to get it home.
Thanks to your ill informed voters.
Intellivore

Post by Intellivore »

Most "assault rifle" laws I know of hinge on the "readily replacible ammunition feeding device"... unless its a Kreiger Conversion, it fails that litmus. I also dont think any Model 8 has a true pistol grip, another almost universal "assault rifle" feature they claim.

I could see an argument of any of the commonly chambered calibers, save .300 Savage, being classified as "intermediate cartridges", but thats a streach and relies on the military commonly accepted definition of an "assault weapon".

What friggin state is that bass-ackwards? I live in Upstate NY, and King Andrew the First and Regent DiBlasio dont even go that far...
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Google WA state initiative 1639 and all will become clear. It only requires that a rifle use a portion of its energy to reload the rifle to now be an assault rifle.
Voters passed it, so now its law, unless and until we can get a favorable ruling in a court which thus far has not happened. Even a judge who said that 1639 didnt pass the smell test, did not rule against it. Our state Supreme Court has gone looney in the last few years and rarely rules in our favor on gun issues.
Intellivore

Post by Intellivore »

Heavens above...

And I was lookin at maybe moving to eastern WA....

Alaska it is!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Made the comment on another post re your 10 day wait that it might be time to look into a Curio&Relics license. After reading "Initiative 1639" it might have been a useless idea. I was aware that Washington state had gone off the rails with anti-gun legislation but ,until I read the entire text of 1639 did not realize the enormity of the train wreck that resulted. You still might research the C&R issue with ATF. I am not aware of anything in the license provision and priviledges that allows for a state to supersede Federal jurisdiction. It is difficult for those of us in states not surrounded by barbed-wire to relate to the onerous policies and procedures you are saddled with. The fear that is real for us and should be recognized is that the goal for the anti`s is to have a domino effect steadily proceed like a plague of locusts. We all need to stay informed. Thanks for suggesting the google of 1639. I know you will find the wait to acquire one of Remington`s finest rifles worth it no matter how draconian the process. Enjoy.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Have considered a C&R before but I have no desire to have to deal with ATF on any level personally, prefer to have my FFL between us. I am afraid this state started down this path with Initiative 676 some years ago, its the last one we were able to beat back. The voters tossed it easily and we had hoped to have the same result with 1639 but leading up to it I knew it would pass and guessed the margin just about right, roughly 60-40.

We have a total idiot Gov here in Jay Inslee, and his bootlicking, vehemently anti gun AG Bob Ferguson, both have presidential aspirations. The Gov ran last time but is probably just too stupid to get very far, so the voters here rewarded him with a 3rd term as Gov! Unbelievable!
His AG will be gunning for his job at some point and he is young enough to still have his eyes on the real prize, the presidency.
Remember those names.
Intellivore

Post by Intellivore »

I hear alot about Inslee from a podcast a friend introduced me to, and even though the podcast is very definiately biased... Inthlee always struck me as a West Coast Cuomo...
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Well I had it in my hands today, albeit briefly. I can go back and pick it up in 10 business days. Rifle looked great. Bore was good, wood was good other than the added pad and pistol grip cap, though both were well done. Cap may come off, pad will likely stay.
Anyone know what the length of pull would be from trigger to woods end where the buttplate would go? Trying to figure out if the stock was cut on this.
LOP to the end of the recoil pad was 13.75" and pad was one inch thick. Though even at that extra LOP it didnt feel long to me, in fact if anything it felt short but I suspect thats the nature of the beast, and fact that I have longish arms and tend to crawl a stock.

Look forward to getting it home and shooting it! Dang stupid 1639!
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Finally got it home today, after the 10 business day assault rifle waiting period! Rifle is better than first thought. After spending a little time cleaning it up today, bore is heavily coppered but otherwise looks near new, rifling is great from crown to throat.
Took the barrel down for inside the tube cleaning. As expected the barrel and inside the tube was varnished oils that I cleaned off then a light coat of oil.
Had to do it twice to get the washer out, didnt budge the first time. Put it back together and made sure I got it to turn/ratchet, then was able to free the barrel from it and take it out the back way, then finish pulling it apart up front. Glad that wont be part of normal after shoot cleaning!
SN on the lower jacket head matches the receiver so good there. Other than the stock having an added recoil pad, it all looks pretty original. Stock was cut when they did that so wont be able to put a buttplate on or it would be way too short. Wood pistol grip cap was added for some reason, haven't yet decided whether to remove or leave, we'll see.
Will try to post up a couple pics tomorrow.