my little 25-35

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
olskool

my little 25-35

Post by olskool »

I haven't shown this one in a wile. I had it out back on my shooting range the other day and took a couple of shots with the gun and a couple of shots with the camera. this gun serial # puts it about 1908 it is a sweet shooter,,,,,,,,,,,,Image
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
canuck

Re: my little 25-35

Post by canuck »

wow, thats a really nice looking rifle - is it the original blue?
I'm dealing on a 25 cal at the moment but its no where near that condition!
olskool

Post by olskool »

no it's not the original blue. I found the rifle about 10 years ago in a gun shop. it was pretty much in the white. but it had no rust and tight as a tick, just no bluing left and the wood was faded out but in good shape. it had one huge dent in the barrel jacket. I took it and dismantled it, I took the barrel out (I have the tool) I am a professional transmission rebuilder so I looked through my tools and found that a 19mm snap on deep well impact socket fit the tube tight. I took the socket to a wire wheel and buffed all the black off and that thinned it enough to be a perfect fit. the dent was ahead of the made in piece in the jacket that holds the spring, you have to in through the back of the tube because of the fine threads in the front of the tube, so I ground a trough in the socket to clear the inserted piece. then I put the socket on a 2ft. extension, slid it in an tapped the dent out smooth. I had been wanting to tell this for a wile to help others but just never have. then I had the gun hot blued to look as close to as original finish as possible. the metal wasn't polished except for some steel wool, so all writing is still sharp as new. I refinished the wood with hardly any sanding as to keep the wood in spec. and not get it out of shape. I used true-oil mixed with boiled linseed oil to give it a 100 year old look. I think it came out nice,,,,,,
canuck

Post by canuck »

It really looks great (I zoomed in on your pic), I'm normally a "leave em as original" guy but I think you did well by this one!
And thanks for the story of removing the barrel jacket dent - I've heard of it being done but not from the horse's mouth (so to speak), good to know its possible.

My offer on a 1912 .25 Model 8 was accepted last night, I finally complete the collection of the four calibers!
olskool

Post by olskool »

well the way I looked at it I had nothing to loose and everything to gain. it was ugly with no bluing left at all. and the process to remove the dent I made up, I never heard of it being done like that but it worked perfect! I love bringing old things back to life to live again, here is a model 14 I resurrected a few years ago. it is in 30 rem.,,,,,,,,,,,,ImageImage
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

How is the bore on your 25-35?

I have one too, mine was well used metal was good, wood ahh so-so. What prompted me to get a 25 was that I had bought a .32 Remington barrel assembly off of eBay and I thought I'd get a .30, but then considering the 30 and 32 are almost the same, I decided to find a 25.

I've had a couple of Winchester Model 94's in 25-35 so I was familiar with the ballistics of the round.

When I first got mine I was a bit disappointed in the bore, it didn't look so good. Well I cleaned it made up some ammo it shot okay. then I cleaned it, I just kept running a brush and patches through that bore. The bore isn't really that bad for an old rifle like these. Mine is marked 25-35 so its vintage is near yours. the last time I shot it, it was shooting pretty good when I did my part.

KEN
olskool

Post by olskool »

my bore is very good. not new but very good for a rifle that is well over 100 years old. it shoots 85gr. nosler BT or 117gr. Hornaday RN great! I have it zeroed with the 117gr. and varget powder. with the 85gr I was using #3031