FBI Model 81 w/ issues

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
RedFlannelCap

FBI Model 81 w/ issues

Post by RedFlannelCap »

Can I jump in this thread? I have a 1942 mfgr FBI rifle that has some curious features that are along the lines of what you all are observing, and I was wondering if you could shed some light on what I am seeing. See the attached photos: there is an APP3 code on the left side which would indicate a March 1945 factory repair. You can see the assembly is heavily brazed on the right side and appears to have 2 pins that have been added. The SN on the bbl jacket head matches the receiver, but you see there is a small hole centered in the top of the bbl jacket head- I wonder what that’s about? FWIW, the receiver screws on the left side are also staked in place like the one you show.

Lastly, is there an alternative method to loosening the takedown screw? I can’t get it loose with the attached lever; I can feel it wanting to bend in my hand. I don’t want to damage it with visegrips either but I would like to get the thing apart.

This is a great forum, thanks for any feedback you can offer.
Attachments
6A711BEB-84C3-45B8-8B2F-5C1A8A4669E5.jpeg
6A711BEB-84C3-45B8-8B2F-5C1A8A4669E5.jpeg (489.26 KiB) Viewed 6214 times
A400FDEF-C023-47BB-9599-8B6872DDC5C7.jpeg
A400FDEF-C023-47BB-9599-8B6872DDC5C7.jpeg (454.32 KiB) Viewed 6214 times
81police

Re: FBI Model 81 w/ issues

Post by 81police »

Hi RedFlannelCap, I made your post into its own topic so all discussion can focus on your specific gun.

These are my guesses only...

The additional pins & holes may have been Remington's attempt to fix a loosening jacket tube from the jacket head.
The brazed area may have been the FBI's attempt at resolving the same issue.

Regarding the takedown screw...you may need to use heat to break it loose. I've bent a lever before putting too much torque on it.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

I concur with 81POLICE.

I had a stubborn takedown lever on my 35. I ended up doing a few cycles of heat from a hair dryer and good penetrating oil, worked out great.
Fred

Post by Fred »

It looks like the washer under the takedown screw is a lock-washer too. That might be contributing to why it's reluctant to loosen. Oil, heat and maybe some channel-lock pliers with some substitute brass jaws for extra torque without marring the finish.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

2nd's to 81 Police and Hibby83 in regards to a little heat and soaking in pent oil. On one of my 81's in attempting to get the barrel jacket off the barrel nut and especially the barrel jacket bushing were so tight I thought they may never come loose. After soaking them in Kroil pent oil for 2-3 days and using a hair dryer to heat them up they finally cracked loose. I use a hair dryer a lot for heating only resorting to a propane torch as a last resort. A hot soldering iron on a screw works too. Sometimes before or after oil and/or heat turning a lever such as on the Remington's or a screw in a tightening manner will crack them loose. Doesn't make sense to do this, but it will work in some cases.
RedFlannelCap

Post by RedFlannelCap »

Two days of Kroil and a hairdryer was the ticket. Thanks all.