Model 81 Magazine Problem

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Accumulator

Model 81 Magazine Problem

Post by Accumulator »

I presently own a Model 81 in 300 Savage, its the 2nd 81 that I have owned. There seems to be a problem feeding from the magazines and locking the bolt back on the last round. I have experience completely taking apart and reassembling my previous 81 helped by the excellent video on this forum. What I notice from my previous model 81 disassembly and various youtube videos is that the magazine comes out of the gun as a complete assembly (body, spring & follower). When I took apart the present gun the follower and spring do not stay captured in the body. Does anybody have any idea what is happening here and how do I fix it? If I need to locate a replacement magazine are the dimensions of all calibers the same? Where should I look to find a magazine if I do need to replace it.

All advice welcomed, Thanks
kenhwind

Re: Model 81 Magazine Problem

Post by kenhwind »

It seems that feeding issues can be caused by the magazine spring being backwards.
Are the two magazine side spring guides there?
KEN
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

This is a subject that has come up often here. If you use the "search" bar located in upper right corner...type in "magazine,problems,issues,failure to feed etc. you will have an afternoons worth of reading and may find answer you seek.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Accumulator

Post by Accumulator »

Thanks for your comment. Yes both of the spring clips are in place. I've tried the magazine spring every possible way without fixing my problem. I suspect that the problem is related to the follower not being captured in the magazine when its out of the gun. The front (bullet end) is retained by the magazine feed lips. The rear end of the follower has a small projection that slides in a open top vertical slot in the magazine body so there is nothing to keep it from popping up out of the body. I believe that a piece has broken off of the body of the magazine which limits the vertical travel of the follower. Unless I can find a good close up picture of the magazine I will have to inspect another rifle.

I would really like to know if the magazine bodies are universal or are they caliber specific?
81police

Post by 81police »

Hi Accumulator,

Remington listed the Model 81 magazine box as interchangeable between calibers. Remington, however, did not list the magazine follower as interchangeable.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

I have read this post several times and finally realized no one has mentioned that the front top edge on the mag have a small dimple bent in slightly on both sides. This requires that the follower be tipped slightly to one side to get it to fit down into the mag. Once flat on top of the mag spring it can't come out.