Model 81 pistol grip to Model 8 stock conversion

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
DirtyHarry44

Model 81 pistol grip to Model 8 stock conversion

Post by DirtyHarry44 »

Hi all, new member here!
Don't yet have an 8 or 81, but am looking to purchase my first one.
Was originally wanting a straight gripped model 8 in 35 Rem, but am noticing that 81's are more readily available.
Plus I like the upgrades such as a sling mount in the barrel jacket. (I know that later model 8's had this feature also)
If I was only going to have one, a pistol gripped 81 in 35Rem would be just fine with me.
But for some reason all of a sudden the 300Savage just really started looking good also.
So with a future 300Savage twin more than likely I figured it would be better to have contrasting looks on the rifles.
Straight gripped 35Rem with peep sights, and "Woodmaster" style 300Savage possibly with a side mount scope.
Whatever I do, I don't want to be drilling new holes into something if it isn't already butchered.
First I was thinking just swap out the pistol grip stock for a model 8's straight stock, I didn't see why it couldn't be done.
Then while watching a gunsmithing video on the 81, I noticed it has a curved tang on the bottom of the receiver that mounts to the stock.
In that same video I saw that curved tang is connected to the removeable floorplate.

So my main question is can I swap out the model 81's floorplate with a model 8's?
There aren't many internal parts in the trigger group, are the 81's trigger parts the same?
I actually think the best route though is to have a whole complete model 8 floorplate with stock and trigger group that could just be swapped out.
This way there are no permanent modifications.
Is this doable, or are these parts not interchangeable?
I actually have a lead on a model 8 floorplate, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Is this route possible, or should I just wait for the right model 8?

Thanks,
DirtyHarry44
81police

Re: Model 81 pistol grip to Model 8 stock conversion

Post by 81police »

wait for the right Model 8!! Actually do whatever you like. Yes the trigger plates are different, and require different screws (to accommodate the greater length between both tangs). Unless you found a late production model 8 trigger plate, you'd be swapping a double side spring mag assembly for a single side spring mag assembly (assuming you swap the whole assembly). It would be a pain in the butt to do (personally speaking) for just a straight grip stock. Many many many straight grip 8's in 35 available out there to choose from. My 2 cents only!

And hey....WELCOME!!!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I agree with Cam.
Plus from personal experience the holes drilled in the rec'v'r for the tang screw are at different angles for the curved or straight grips. He is also correct the screws are different lengths. Meaning we have to deal with 3 different holes accepting different length fasteners. Wish I had a thread chasing tap too; the angled holes can get messed up. When they do it ruins a good screw chasing them out to repair.
Phyrbird
SOKY
DirtyHarry44

Post by DirtyHarry44 »

Thanks guys, this is exactly the info I was looking for.

The big issue I am facing now is whether to start with the 35Rem or 300Savage.
Was planning on getting an 8 or 81 in 35Rem for a woods carry gun for at most black bear defense. (I'm in Central PA)
But I'm thinking the 300Savage would work equally well with the added benefit of trying it out for varmint.
(30 caliber probably isn't a great varmint cartridge, I know very little about varmint hunting).
The reason I am thinking about trying varmint hunting is that PA now allows the use of semi-autos for hunting.
Sadly semi-autos are only allowed for small game and varmints, thus is why I might try varmint hunting.
I wish it was the same for big game, I would love to try an 8 or 81 in either 35Rem or 300Savage for deer.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

A interesting post from years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3511&sid=367324b9c ... 3af91401d3

I still need to chrono them, soon I hope. :oops: But picture a load in a 300Sav. Can you spell 220 Swuft? :twisted: Existing load data clocks the saboted loads at some serious velocity. An issue is they don't have enough momentum to cycle the actions of our Ladies. :(
For flat shooting one could prefer the 300 over the 35Rem; I'm just a 35 kinda guy.... 8-)
Phyrbird
SOKY