300 Savage - Reduced Recoil Load

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
whiterook

300 Savage - Reduced Recoil Load

Post by whiterook »

I own a Model 81 in 300 Savage. As I have aged I seem to enjoy dealing with the recoil produced by this rifle less and less.

So I am looking for some (at least one, anyway) reloading suggestions (powder / bullet combinations) to produce a round that generates significantly less recoil, yet will still function the action.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Phyrbird

Re: 300 Savage - Reduced Recoil Load

Post by Phyrbird »

WR,
A. Suggest a Limbsaver slip on pad, they really help. Even with a 7mmMag. :!:
B. Suggest a 140g Monoflex (Hornady) with a slower burning powder to a midrange load; it'll have slightly less recoil, at a longer duration and may change the dynamic. :ugeek:

http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=1026

C. Change the spring in the barrel sleeve to a set for the 30 Rem and down load to it's velocities. :idea: This is a rather drastic step. :twisted: It could be cheaper and more original to just get a 30 Rem rifle.
D. Swap to a 35Rem, I personally prefer this round myself. :geek: It could be just personal though as I also shoot TC Contenders, 760s, & Model 141s. The 35Rem always has been a favorite. ;)
Phyrbird
SOKY
whiterook

Post by whiterook »

Thank you very much for the suggestions; greatly appreciated !

I will probably start with the 140 grain monoflex idea first.

I have fired a Model 8 in 32 Remington and a Model 81 in 35 Remington. The recoil in both of these rifles seemed noticeably less sharp than in my 300 Savage.
BZimm

Post by BZimm »

I'll agree on the recoil issue with 300 Savage. I ended up with my Rem 81 in a trade and it's the only rifle I have in that caliber. It is harsh but I am setting up to reload that cartridge and time will tell on a softer load. I don't think this rifle will see all that much use, but I did see my son admiring it yesterday.

BZimm
I am accountable for my actions.....
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I note that an lot of these guns have after market recoil pads fitted, albeit some more skillfully than others. Mine has one such pad and even with that the recoil is pretty darn "savage". .35 is still stout but not nearly as bad. A reduced load would make this caliber more user friendly.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
whiterook

Post by whiterook »

BZimm and Bandersnatch (awesome username!), thank you for your input.

Good to hear of some first hand experience with the recoil pad on this particular rifle / chambering combination.

I have also discovered that freshly ejected cases from my 300 Savage Model 81 are unbelievably hot!

As I prepared to order some bullets, I learned that 140 grain Monoflex bullets seem to be fairly expensive for my intended purpose. So I think I will try some less expensive 150 grain cup and core bullets with H4895 powder.
ShermanTeP

300 Savage Reduced Recoil Load

Post by ShermanTeP »

Does anyone have a spare Savage Axis small shank barrel recoil lug? Helping a relative rebuild a Savage Axis in 30-06 but he either lost the recoil lug or it was missing from the start.