My newest model 81

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Bandersnatch

My newest model 81

Post by Bandersnatch »

I found this lovely on GB and simply had to have it. 35Rem, which oddly, I hadn't had one of yet and a scope mount. I think that's why I got it as reasonably as
I did, all the holes in the receiver. Anyway, it was easily in the worst internal shape of any of these guns I've come across. Inside the receiver wasn't too bad, but I don't think the barrel assembly had been apart since 1948, when it was made. It was full of heavy rust and it took some grunting and swearing to get the barrel bushing free. But, with a bit of TLC and G96 and 000 steel wool she started to clean up. The scope that came on it was junk and I had a Tasco world class 4-16x that was Waaaay over powered. So, I got in a Bushnell 4x all steel that fit the bill nicely. Going to take it out this week for a bit of gun powder burning.

I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
81police

Re: My newest model 81

Post by 81police »

Hey Bandersnatch I really like what you've done there! Cleaning it up and that 4x scope looks at home on the gun!

35Rem too oh yeah! Time for a powder burnin, shoulder thumpin good time! Please follow us up with a range report :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Shall do. I've found that those laser dot bore sighters are pretty darn handy on these off side scope mounts. Makes initial sighting in much easier.

Got some 150 grain Remington ammo that hopefully won't bust me up too bad. :D
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Karl,
Found a firing pin, older model, not for the return spring type. Send me a email:
carlsandage@yahoo.com
Got any trading material :?:
Be sure to check your bolt carrier for mushrooming from the hammer in the F/p hole, it can cause the pin to hang. It would affect a replacement too.
Phyrbird
SOKY